Livecode Code and Syntax

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Mbessette

Livecode Code and Syntax

Post by Mbessette » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Hey Everyone!

So one thing that's really been getting to me is that I can't seem to find a good resource for studying and learning the actual code and syntax for Livecode. It's obviously way more simple than Python or C that I've tinkered with in the past but aside from the dictionary provided by the Livecode website I can find absolutely nothing as a guide for specifically knowing and practicing the code. Does anyone have any suggestions or a link that I'm missing?

I know that they give you a lot of info and code as you go along with the tutorial videos but a lot of times it's difficult as to know WHY they are writing the code in certain ways because I'm not 100% with the language yet.

Thanks in advance!
-Matthew

SparkOut

Re: Livecode Code and Syntax

Post by SparkOut » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Aha, welcome and here is a link to the Scripting Conferences transcript site kindly hosted by jacque.

http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html

They are old, but have been mostly updated and in my opinion still the best introduction to "grok" LiveCode, and designed to answer exactly the sort of questions you have mentioned.

Have fun!

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:02 pm

That is probably one of the most comprehensive source of information available. If your looking for a more regimented source of information, you might want to also take a look at the Mc help guide I separated out of Metacard and turned into a standalone.

While some things have changed since Mc was out there, others like the concepts, reference, tutorials and such still work with a surprising degree of reliability. This guide is pretty well formatted, includes working examples, and explains a great many concepts.
Selection_005.png
The only warnings that comes with this is that the run script button in the examples will not run *all* of the examples, since it is outside of the IDE, however quite a few do run despite that. Also, I believe most database related things came after the technology switched to RunRev, so aside from card storage techniques, I don't believe there is much about it in this stack.

Aside from this and the scripting conferences, there are a great many individual sites hosting tutorials on just about any topic (BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY probably being one of the most thorough, with pgcps.org being a close 2nd), as well as the lessons site from the mother ship, and of course, the forum is pretty much here for anything not covered elsewhere :D
Last edited by bogs on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Welcome to LC.

Do take a read of the LC User Guide, available from the "Help" menu. It is a pretty good introduction.

Remember that you only need a tiny fraction of the vocabulary, and only a slightly larger fraction of the structure, to start writing your own applications. Do not try to learn faster than you have physically practiced by trying small tasks and completing them.

I always say make a date book, a family Christmas card index, or something similar. Work on the calculator tutorial. Make any sort of useless gadget that you can come up with. The end result may be trivial and nearly pointless; the effort to make it work as you intended, and without issue, will be, 100%, both much harder and much more rewarding that you ever could have imagined from the start.

Craig Newman
Last edited by dunbarx on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxV

Post by MaxV » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 am

Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”