Simple CTRL key question.

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Mbessette

Simple CTRL key question.

Post by Mbessette » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm just getting started with Livecode and have limited coding background. I am going through the videos for the Sheep Herding game tutorial and while creating the command keys in the bottom bar I'm struggling to do two simple things that I'm pretty sure are just CTRL key commands that aren't working.

1. I cannot copy an object (in the video it says to copy the 'Sheep Count' and 'Timer' labels but it doesn't allow me to through the Edit tab, right clicking or CTRL+C). I'm pretty sure this is some sort of setting issue or maybe just a problem with software?

2. I cannot figure out how to select multiple objects at once so that I can Group them. Holding CTRL and clicking each object doesn't work and neither does highlighting all of them at once.

I'm using the latest version of Livecode 9 and am on a new Dell Inspiron 15.6 gaming laptop with Windows 10.

Not sure what's wrong here, if anyone could help so I can stop pulling my hair out that'd be awesome!

-Matthew

bogs

Re: Simple CTRL key question.

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:01 pm

To select a bunch of objects, just click -> drag your mouse from any blank area to any other blank area on the other side of the objects. Alternately, you can shift/click on each object.
Selection_004.png
Selection_004.png (6.26 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
To copy an object(s), the easiest way is to hold down the ctrl key on your keyboard, then click-> drag the object(s). Any selected objects will be copied to new objects. (I have never stopped using Jacque's excellent explanation of this :D )
Selection_005.png
Selection_005.png (7.61 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Alternately, under the edit menu, you can copy/cut/paste objects you have selected, or on the right click menu you will see the same options for any selected controls.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi.

There is nothing wrong. You are just getting going is all.

Know that there are two runtime modes, "Browse" and "Pointer". Only the pointer tool (edit mode) allows direct manipulation of screen objects, such as selecting, copying, deleting and moving.

And the reason I said "direct", is because in browse mode, your controls can be manipulated far more powerfully and cleverly under script control, but that is for next week.

Write back often. I would rather speak to you than do my work.

Craig Newman

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Good catch Craig, it never even occurred to me he might be in the wrong mode :oops:

Mbessette

Post by Mbessette » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 am

Wow, very fast response times I'm sorry I didn't do the same! I left town and honestly this is the first forum I've contacted for anything and actually expected it to take days for a response! I'm still trying to figure out Sheep Herder. I made another post for it so refer to that if need be but currently the biggest thing I'm struggling with is Groups I think.

It doesn't give me the option to open a Property Inspector for the Group created for the groupControls.

Thanks so much for the responses!
-Matthew

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”