Seriously no sound on linux ?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

félix

Seriously no sound on linux ?

Post by félix » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:39 am

Hi

After a lot of searching and testing it seems to me that LiveCode has no sound feature on linux. I've installed Ubuntu 16 (32 bits) on a machine and installed LiveCode, then I've tested all the stacks with sound available here (link below). None of them produce any sound.

http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/search/

In addition, when one drag a player object on a card, it doesn't look like a player at all. It's just a grayed area with no button.

I would like to have some feedback from linux users.

Thanks in advance
Félix

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Seriously no sound on linux ?

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm

On Ubuntu 17.10 64-bit and MX Linux 32-bit exactly as you described.

The Unvarnished Fact is that sound and video are useless on Linux

and the LiveCode people don't seem to think it is worth addressing.

félix

Post by félix » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Really ? how can one expect developing games without sound ? my concern is to build educational programs for children - almost impossible without sound too.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:30 pm

I think on Linux it currently requires Mplayer and some particular formats, (for instance .ogg won't work, but will play .WAV, .AIFF, or .AU formats).

I think another possible route to go (but have never tried it) is to shell out to the command line and play it in an external player, depending on that players abilities and whether it has to show itself or not. Again, though, I've never tried it.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:47 pm

to build educational programs for children - almost impossible without sound
I don't know why, I have been authoring software for my EFL school for 12 years for
machines that run Linux with no sound at all: they do exactly what they are meant to do; reinforce
what I have been teaching the children - with no DISTRACTING sounds.

félix

Post by félix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi again,

I've found an old discussion regarding this topic and it seems that this feature has been lost in version 8.
Your instructions works fine in LC 7.1.4 on Linux but crash LC 8.0.2
viewtopic.php?t=18429

I'm going to install version 7.1.4 and I'll report to you.

--
félix

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:54 pm

I dunno, when I read that, it seems like it either works (MaxV) or doesn't (mweider, Richard). If it works on one system, then you are down to what is missing on other systems, not that it doesn't work in 8.

I agree with the sentiment above Al's in that thread at the end, though, I think instead of relying on some specialized player (such as quicktime or wmp, or even mPlayer or VLC), some form of basic sound and video should be internal to the engine, since you can't rely on the end user having that special whatever hidden doodad you require, or rely on having them download it and install it correctly.

Just my take on it.

félix

Post by félix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Just to keep you posted,

I installed version 7.1.4 on Windows in order to build a test stack for Linux. Still no sound and no error with .wav and .aiff files.

As for installing LiveCode 7.1.4 on Linux, it failed on Ubuntu 16 with an error: "Installer slave quit unexpectedly.".

I was quite enthousiastic with LiveCode a week ago. it's an understatement to say that LC is not up to its promises on Linux.

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Not sure why you would have a problem installing any Lc version down to 6 on Ubuntu, but I will dl U16 and test it out tonight with a fresh install and Lc 7.1.4.

I'm currently in Linux Mint 'betsy', but have installed Lc on just about every type of linux version there is with little to no trouble.

Which 'buntu desktop are you using, the default gnome one? kubuntu? something else? which version of the Lc 7.1.4 did you dl, Linux 32 | Linux 64?

félix

Post by félix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 pm

hi Bogs,

I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32 bits, default download
I've tried to install both LC 7.1.4 and 7.1.3 32 bits versions and both only for me and for all users.

Thanks for your help

capellan

Post by capellan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Felix,

Some Linux distributions still have problems playing sounds in LiveCode.
In Linux, try this method to run a LiveCode application with sound:

1) Save your Livecode application (with embedded sounds) as a Windows Executable
2) Run your Windows Livecode application in Linux using WINE
3) Post your results in this thread

Al

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 pm

félix wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm
As for installing LiveCode 7.1.4 on Linux, it failed on Ubuntu 16 with an error: "Installer slave quit unexpectedly.".
I was quite enthousiastic with LiveCode a week ago. it's an understatement to say that LC is not up to its promises on Linux.
Well, following my post below this one, I started off by downloading and installing Ubuntu 16 (found out later you changed up on editions heh heh) and Lc 64 bit.

After a fresh install, I clicked on the installer and nothing happened. I checked the properties, and had to check the 'Allow file to run as a program' under permissions (doh).

I fired up the Lc installer and left the default settings (all users). It launched as normal until it reached the actual installation. This installation did not start because, for some reason, Lc did not kick in Ubuntu's privileges confirmation (you have to be su or sudo to install for all users). I resolved that issue by launching it from the command line using

Code: Select all

sudo ./LiveCodeCommunityInstaller-7_1_4-Linux.x64 
Since the permission was escalated at execution time, it isn't required later. Install finished as expected.

I blanked out that install and re-ran a fresh install of Ubuntu 16, re-downloaded Lc, and this time installed for just the user. This displayed no issues, installer finished with no other changes, Lc launched and produced a functioning program (Hello).
I didn't bother doing a custom install (although I have in the past) as both of the other installers did work with the only issue being Lc not asking for the elevated permissions when installing for all users, which is required for writing in the /opt/ directory, and my not checking the permissions of the installer file.

Now that I see you downloaded one of the last of my favorites of ubuntu ( I really dislike the versions after 13), I'll run a fresh install from my older images and document any oddities I find here.

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 pm

LOL. I am sad to report that 10.04 LTS is a no go here. While I was able to install it, I had no way to update it or get the necessary libs to even attempt an install of Lc. too bad, so sad :P

Ah well, the next oldest I had available was Linux Mint 13 (Maya), which is based on Ubuntu 12.04. This is an xfce distro, not gnome based, but I really liked it enough to keep it around this long :D

After downloading and setting the exe permission, it installed with no issues ( I hadn't even updated the os).
It correctly asked for elevated permission, installed, ran, created a program.

So, aside from Ubuntu 10.04, and 2 minor issues in 16, the installer itself should work ok all the way back down to roughly 'buntu 12.04.

Some things you might try would be opening a terminal in the window where the exe is, and typing

Code: Select all

sudo ./LcInstallerName
so that you've elevated your permissions before you start in. Side benefit is you will get a report of any errors that happen during that interaction. Other than that, I dunno.

félix

Post by félix » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:35 pm

bogs wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Well, following my post below this one, I started off by downloading and installing Ubuntu 16 (found out later you changed up on editions heh heh) and Lc 64 bit.
Hi Bogs

Thank you for the testing and sorry for the typo. I've indeed installed 16.04 LTS 32 bits.
I have done what you said with sudo and the exec flag.
I'll try to install a 64bits version.

I have another machine with Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya" and I have installed LC 7.1.4 with no problem proceeding exactly as I did on Ubuntu. Quite puzzling !

But still no chance with playing sound.

--
Regards
Félix

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 pm

I have LiveCode 7.1.4 and 8.1.8 running on Xubuntu 16.04 32 & 64 bit machines, Xubuntu 17.10 64 bit, and MX Linux with absolutely no problems at all.

Sound?

The ONLY sound that Linux users should be concentrating
on at the moment is BANGING on LiveCode's door
VERY LOUDLY so they implement sound in the Linux versions of LiveCode.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”