Copy-pasting accented text into LC

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

ittarter

Copy-pasting accented text into LC

Post by ittarter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Hello,

This is not a very big problem as it's font-specific, but I was curious about what was causing it.

I have a text with accented characters in Verdana font in OpenOffice Writer, e.g.
afin d'être le plus confiant possible avant de passer le véritable entretien
When I paste it into livecode, I get
afin d'黎re le plus confiant possible avant de passer le v駻itable entretien
The htmlcode of the above with Chinese characters is
afin d'黎re le plus confiant possible avant de passer le v駻itable entretien
whereas it SHOULD be
afin d'être le plus confiant possible avant de passer le véritable entretien.
(which would yield the correct accents)

Why is LC misreading the characters? Is it another version of Verdana than the one LC uses? This doesn't happen e.g. with Tahoma or Times New Roman.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Copy-pasting accented text into LC

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:11 pm

If I copy your original text from the browser and paste it into LiveCode, I get an incorrect result. However, if I type the text manually in LibreOffice and copy-paste it into LiveCode, it works fine. What is your exact set-up? (I still have to try OpenOffice on my new Mac).
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

ittarter

Re: Copy-pasting accented text into LC

Post by ittarter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Mark wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:11 pm
If I copy your original text from the browser and paste it into LiveCode, I get an incorrect result. However, if I type the text manually in LibreOffice and copy-paste it into LiveCode, it works fine. What is your exact set-up? (I still have to try OpenOffice on my new Mac).
Thanks, Mark.

Windows 10, Apache Open Office. Perhaps I will finally download/install LibreOffice now :P

First, I'm going to try a few filetype variants (e.g. .odt, .doc, .docx) to see what works and what doesn't.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”