Performance problems in LiveCode

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

DavidF.

Performance problems in LiveCode

Post by DavidF. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 pm

hi,

I'm trying to puzzle out some performance differences in LiveCode as I have it installed on different machines. The problem machine is my netbook, running Windows 8.1. Running LiveCode 8.1.8 on this, I get a real performance hit when I use the message box. CPU spikes to about 50% and typing in it is slow to the point of unusability. I get similar problems using the script editor. Just scrolling up and down in it takes CPU up to about 50% with corresponding sluggishness. Other than that, general use of the IDE is OK.

On my work laptop with Windows 7 there is no problem with the message box or editor, again running LC 8.1.8.

I wondered if it had something to do with the LC version. So I tried LC 7 on the netbook - and the problems vanished! No more CPU spike on using the message box or script editor, no more sluggishness. I could type something in the message box and no longer have to wait a minute or so for the text to appear.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? Is there a known problem with Windows 8? Was some new feature introduced in LC 8 that could have led to this slowdown?

I'm pretty sure the Project Browser also suffered from the same slowness when using LC 8 on my netbook. Certainly in LC 7 it seems much more responsive.

-- DavidF

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Performance problems in LiveCode

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:58 pm

Performance issues specific to the Windows edition of the LiveCode engine are being worked on. It may be that some of these improvements can be seen in the latest build released this morning, v8.1.9:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

If you find the issues persisting, please submit a bug report, or add details of your recipe and system to a relevant existing report:
http://quality.livecode.com/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

DavidF.

Re: Performance problems in LiveCode

Post by DavidF. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks Richard. I'll try out 8.1.9 at some point and file a bug report if needed. LC 7 probably gives me all I need right now without performance issues so I'll stick with that meanwhile.

-- DavidF.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”