Raspberry PI and LC

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Lagi Pittas
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Raspberry PI and LC

Post by Lagi Pittas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Sorry for what might seem a silly question but which is the latest version of Livecode that will create binaries for the Raspberry PI- the IDE need not run on the PI although I can see build 6.5.1 will run on the PI.

The reason for the question is that I saw in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=22206

The OP said he built a linux binary for ARM with version 7.0 - but I don't see any options for the processor in Version 9 which I wanted to use for the browser widget.

Regards Lagi

FourthWorld

Re: Raspberry PI and LC

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 pm

The Downloads page confirms 7.0.4 as the most recent build from LiveCode Ltd for Raspberry Pi:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

With the source available, I've been hoping to see someone take an interest in compiling v9 for ARM, and working out the dependencies, so we can distribute that as a community project as intended.

So far I've found only one person who began that work, with no replies to my correspondence asking how the rest of us can help.

I can provide hosting for the downloads, but with no one in a position to take the lead on refining the make file the project is currently at a standstill.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Lagi Pittas

Post by Lagi Pittas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 pm

HI

Thanks Richard

I missed the PI at the end of that download.

But my question is still Do I have to run 7.04 on the PI and compile or can I somehow create a linux Binary using the windows version of that 7.04.

The OP in the above thread implied this and Max's answer sort of confirmed it , but I have installed 7.04 for Windows and the standalone settings for Linux only allow for Linux and 64 Bit Linux - no Arm Binary selection that I can see.

here is what he said :-
I'm not sure this is the right place for my question. This the question: I have LiveCode Community 7.0 on my Windows machine. I made a small program. In standalone application setting "i used" Linux ARMv6-HF. I used the 'Save as a standalone application'to save the build application. So far so good. But now I'm confused. What should I do now to get the build application on the Raspberry Pi?
was it in 7.0 - in which case another install is needed....

Regards Lagi

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Lagi Pittas wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 pm
But my question is still Do I have to run 7.04 on the PI and compile or can I somehow create a linux Binary using the windows version of that 7.04.
Running the full LC IDE on the Pi is slow and cumbersome. Even if it works, it would be unpleasant (making a lightweight IDE would be a good community project if we can get the engine recompiled for v9).

Here I make standalones from the v7.0.4 Community Edition, and then copy them to the RPi. In that edition you should find "Linux ARMv6-HF" as an option in the "Linux" tab of the Standalone Builder.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Lagi Pittas

Post by Lagi Pittas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 am

Once again a big thanks is all I can say. :D

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”