Control a stack with multiple pages

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Control a stack with multiple pages

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Lagi Pittas wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:05 pm
I still think in the beginners section we should be using the full fat version of Livecode and let the newbies take it from there.
You're in good company, as I believe that's at the root of Mark Waddingham's momentary thought experiment about removing abbreviations from the language altogether.

I agree that when we're discussing concepts other than abbreviations with newcomers the full form may be more useful. But alas with so many years of habit among some of us, it may be difficult to break.

Maybe it's no worse than error-checking: no matter what we're discussing when we share code examples, we all know that at least a third of code will be error-checking. So no mater the topic, a sub-topic will inevitably be added about "the result" and sometimes "it", and the nuances of each. When we omit good error-checking from our examples for the sake of clarity, we sometimes hear back from the OP weeks later about why something that used to work now doesn't. :)

It seems even an uncommonly easy-to-learn language like LiveCode doesn't bypass the need to learn at least a little about a lot of different concepts to get started.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”