Locating errors shown by Standalone maker

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Locating errors shown by Standalone maker

Post by jacque » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:42 pm

What you found are the standalone settings for the mainstack, so now we know where to look. In the IDE View menu, choose "Show IDE stacks in lists". Then open the property inspector for the mainstack, go to the custom properties pane, and choose cRevStandaloneSettings from the property set popdown.

Somewhere in there you should find the list of stored file paths (It kind of looks like the custom key is "files", try that first.) You should be able to correct the paths there.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

exheusden

Post by exheusden » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Wonderful, Jacque!

I deleted the "files" entry and now the standalone is created successfully without warnings.

I imagine I could have recreated the old path and placed some dummy files there, which would have been fine for 14 files, but others might encounter similar problems with many more files, so I think it was worth finding a more elegant solution, and this you have provided.

Any idea why these "ghosts" remained in the Revolution/LiveCode versions?

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Any idea why these "ghosts" remained in the Revolution/LiveCode versions?
I'm not really sure. It looks like there may be a bug that occurred some time during one of the translations of the file format from RR to LC. Or maybe the bug is in the checkbox that toggles the stored files property. I've actually never seen it happen, probably because I never use that checkbox. My apps create all their file references dynamically in scripts.

exheusden

Post by exheusden » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 pm

I wish I could remember how I converted the stack from SuperCard to Revolution. I suspect the references remained then.

Anyway, can you please explain further,
Or maybe the bug is in the checkbox that toggles the stored files property… My apps create all their file references dynamically in scripts.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 pm

The checkbox is "Copy referenced files" in the Copy Files pane in the standalone settings, if that's what you meant.

If you are asking about dynamic file paths in scripts, that just means you create the paths as needed. When you create a standalone, add the folder containing your images to the Copy Files pane. When the standalone is built, the folder will be located in specialFolderPath("resources"). You can use that special path to create the reference, for example:

Code: Select all

put specialFolderPath("resources") & "/Elvis/Originals pics/AreYouLonesome.jpg" into tPath
set the filename of img xx to tPath
This works for any type of file you want to reference. In the case of your images, however, you'd need to store the image name somewhere so you can create the path. That could be in a custom property or an array or anywhere else; a custom property is probably easiest.

On the other hand, LC's built-in referencing is by far the best way (the way you're doing it now) and barring translation issues it usualy works fine. So in this case I probably wouldn't change anything.

exheusden

Post by exheusden » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Jacqueline, thank you ver much, indeed.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”