html5 Export Question

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

bidgeeman

Re: html5 Export Question

Post by bidgeeman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks bogs. My head is swirling about with confusion. I am just getting to grips with LC and now I have to look at PHP :(
LC HTML5 export would do the trick but it's exported JS files are absolutely massive even with just a simple stack. If it was a much lighter export and was actually usable I would seriously consider purchasing the HTML5 license. I own a little program called Hippani Animator that exports to html5 and it's exported html and JS files are nowhere near the sizes of LC. I would use that but it has no "write to file" functionality and relies on XML or PHP again. I have tried looking for tutorials on LC Server but there's really not a lot out there for a beginner.
Bidge

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Note: I thought if I could call a rev stack from a html page to do the writing to file that would work but I cannot find anything online about using LC stacks with html?
Bidge

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:56 pm

jameshale wrote:...the community license required to use the HTML5 features covers all of the code in you app (whether it is based on your lc3.5 code or not) it all has to be exposed.
Of course all this assumes they have the time, inclination and desire to go to all this trouble. For most apps, users,don't.
Some developers think that if someone wants to put in all,that time and effort then they are welcome to it.
Not to be too nit-picky, but the code has to be available to anyone that uses your application on demand, not publicly exposed as it were bidge.

My tendency when developing open source is literally giving the code to anyone that asks in whatever format it is requested, as was discussed in the Mc section of this forum, however that is not a requirement. In the case of the old Mc IDE and my attempts to go through it (which is still ongoing), the code is "open", but was initially (for me) difficult to gain access to, modify, and save back. And these same things apply here.

I do agree with James assessment of most users, few would have the will or inclination to read through even the simple code in any project.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:20 pm

bidgeeman wrote:Note: I thought if I could call a rev stack from a html page to do the writing to file that would work but I cannot find anything online about using LC stacks with html?
Bidge

I'll try to locate that page I was talking about where the app was running from an iFrame for you bidge, may take a bit though. Still waking up (for the last couple of hours now :( )

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:23 pm

No probs bogs. I am going to be asleep soon anyway ;) Thank you again for your help mate.
Bidge

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Still looking bidge, but it is possible someone else has seen / remembers where this page is. I seem to think it was part of a tutorial, and it was a pretty basic web page with what I seem to think was an iFrame with a Lc application running inside of it. I don't remember it requiring CGI, but it could well have.

The iFrame(?) was in the lower right part of the page as I remember it. I also think it was before the html5 part of Lc was around.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:19 pm

bogs wrote:Still looking bidge, but it is possible someone else has seen / remembers where this page is. I seem to think it was part of a tutorial, and it was a pretty basic web page with what I seem to think was an iFrame with a Lc application running inside of it. I don't remember it requiring CGI, but it could well have.

The iFrame(?) was in the lower right part of the page as I remember it. I also think it was before the html5 part of Lc was around.
Running any LC stack requires the LC engine. The only scripting engine provided in browsers is JavaScript.

Any server-side process providing data to run in a browser is usually delivering HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Such a server process may be LiveCode Server, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, or some other scripting language, but what gets delivered must be something the browser can understand.

In the olden days (a decade ago?) there was a brief effort to bring the LC engine into the browser as a binary executable package in the form of a browser plugin. Ultimately this met with technical and usability issues and has long since been abandoned. But for the brief time of that experiment it was possible to run stacks downloaded from a server directly in the browser window, provided you'd first found, downloaded, and installed the LiveCode browser plugin engine.

The current "HTML5" export takes a different approach with regard to the form of the engine delivered which is needed to run an LC stack file:

Instead of delivering compiled object code in the form of a browser plugin, the LC engine has been translated from its C++ source to JavaScript, and the resulting JavaScript library is used to then run the stack file.

So in short, if you saw an actual stack file in a browser, the LiveCode Server CGI would not be a relevant part of that client-side experience.

For anything on the client side, if it was a long time ago it may have been relying on the now-defunct LC browser plugin, but if in recent years most likely delivered via the "HTM5" export.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Well, least that will help me narrow it down, thank you for the information Richard !

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Unfortunately, at this point I have still not located the page I was looking for. Next time I come across it, I am bookmarking it for sure :?

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”