html5 Export Question

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

bidgeeman

html5 Export Question

Post by bidgeeman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am

Hi.
I have been experimenting with html5 export and want to know how to get rid of the Livecode header etc? Is it possible to export to html5 and have a clean page with just the stack only?

Thanks
Bidge

Klaus

Re: html5 Export Question

Post by Klaus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:11 am

Hi David,

I think buying a 499 $ HTML5 license helps... 8)

Best

Klaus

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 am

Hmmm.....that's what I paid for my Kala Bass :(
...I paid $400.00 for Runrev 3.5 about 9 years ago now I have to pay another $400.00 to get a html5 page with no watermark?
Sounds a bit out of wack to me :(
Bidge

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Could be worse, it could be raining, too! :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 pm

bidgeeman wrote:...I paid $400.00 for Runrev 3.5 about 9 years ago now I have to pay another $400.00 to get a html5 page with no watermark?
Well, not really, you paid $400. for a working product that still works almost a decade ago, and now you want a product that has a different/newer feature. It all depends on how you look at things, I suppose.

[This is where most people would offer a car analogy, but in keeping the apples with the apples :wink: ]
Back in the dark ages (of computer time) when the Diablo was shiny and new, I paid for it and all was good.

It took until the middle ages for the all wonderful and omnipotent (at the time) Blizzard to come out with the newer and much improved Diablo 2, which had many things not available in the older (but still working) Diablo first release. I paid for it, and all was good again.

Then the creeps at Blizzard released Diablo 3, which was abhorrent in polite society and an abomination in the world of Diablo, and so I did not give my money to the heartless sterile profit hungry company that caused an ice age in my soul...

Ok, that last bit was a little over the top, heh, but any software that improves over time is going to charge you again for the priviledge, and really, that is how it should be. Speaking of watermarks, I remember someone else asking about applying them to something or other .... hmmmm :twisted:

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 pm

LOL....you're so right bogs :)
I do want to give my software away but protect my artwork at the same time. Already been a victim of piracy and don't want to go down that track again.

Bidge

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by [-hh] » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 am

You don't need a HTML5-license for running your HTML5 standalone in a different calling webpage,
see viewtopic.php?p=131095#p131095 or all my examples on
http://hyperhh.org/html5/index-large.html or http://hh.on-rev.com/html5/index-large.html

But you need, of course, a HTML5-license if you wish to get rid of the downoad icon at bottom right.
shiftLock happens

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:45 am

It seems you are using the community version of LC.
This means your code is required to be available under the GPL2 license conditions.
So any code you have written to protect/unprotect your images will need to be either exposed or available to be exposed.
This may not be what you want.

Also, HTML5 is nowhere near the only change that has happened between your 3.5 purchase and now.

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:02 am

My codes are shared all over this forum and nothing special. More than happy to share the stacks etc. Believe me they are very basic indeed like browse for an image and export to pdf or print is what it does and my images are simply protected by a watermark as I am going to host them online. The html5 part is just for a page that gathers email addresses as you might read in one of my other threads I have shared all of this. I guess this task can also be achieved using PHP rather than html5 too. I'm still learning and no expert. Maybe as I get better and can one day program anything worthwhile I will look at buying another license. All I did was make a free piece of software with the last one I paid for :)

Bidge

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:51 am

Perhaps I am not being clear. There might be a difference between sharing code samples on the forum and the actual specific code you use in your application. As the community license required to use the HTML5 features covers all of the code in you app (whether it is based on your lc3.5 code or not) it all has to be exposed.
You have been discussing how to protect your images. Any method you use to protect your images that you employ in you app will thus also be exposed. So if you app enables someone to view protected versions of your images AND then get a legitimate copy, then this latter part is also available to anyone.
If your protection scheme requires, in addition to the coding within your app, some external key that they cannot obtain without a purchase and is unique to each individual purchase, then your protection is probably secure.
Of course all this assumes they have the time, inclination and desire to go to all this trouble. For most apps, users,don't.
Some developers think that if someone wants to put in all,that time and effort then they are welcome to it.

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:23 am

There is no code that protects my images. I use an old fashioned un-coded watermark to protect my images. it's a semi transparent png file to be exact. I think you are getting confused by an exploratory discussion I had about imagedata and alphadata. I have had many such discussions in the process of learning what can and can't be done.

Here. Please feel free to see for yourself there's nothing that is hidden I hope?
I have only been exploring/discussing what can be done in Livecode and it's nowhere near a commercial application.
It started as a project for a teacher friend of mine.
(My watermark is not yet incorporated though but feel free to play with what is there).
Please let me know if there is anything that might be considered as custom coding.

Bidge
Attachments
SchoolPoster.zip
Bidges Stack
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:27 am

Thanks Bidge but only you would know what you want protected and what you don't.
As for my confusion of the projects, yes, you are right, I seem to have conflated this discussion with your other thread. Easy to do when you only read the forum digests.
My comments were only to clarify what is allowed under the GPL.
The paid HTML5 license allows you to protect your code. The protection methods employed are not available on the open source GPL releases as they are not to be exposed. The developers who want their code protected, usually for commercial reasons but not always, pay for a license.
For nearly everyone, including me, the community version would be sufficient.
The only deficiency being not able to submit to the iOS App Store, although that will soon be addressed.

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:35 am

I'm glad you bought it up as it's something else I needed to learn about. I wish I had the ability to write complex code so though. Maybe one day. If all goes to plan I would be more than happy to support LC again with another license purchase. Maybe if the first version is well received who knows :)
Bidge

bidgeeman

Post by bidgeeman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:33 am

[-hh] Thank you for posting that code. It works nicely.
I have one serious question though....why are the HTML5 exports so huge? They are pretty much unusable? I made one small stack consisting of a button a field and a very small piece of code and the HTML5 export is 20 MB and takes almost 10 -15 seconds to load ? Is this because it is running in trial mode?

Bidge

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:32 pm

bidgeeman wrote:LOL....you're so right bogs :)
I do want to give my software away but protect my artwork at the same time. Already been a victim of piracy and don't want to go down that track again.
I know bidge, was just giving you a gentle joshing :)

You know, if you have vers. 3.5 licensed, html5 may not be necessary at all. I don't remember where I saw it (likely on the byu Lc site) but somewhere was a page with an iFrame running a Lc program directly. Or you could look into revlets, wasn't that along the 3x series somewhere? or lastly I guess you could look at running it from server edition code, I seem to recall a blog that has something along those lines.

Forgive the incompleteness and or lack of coherence in these answers, the coffee hasn't taken effect yet.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”