Save custom attributes in standalone

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Save custom attributes in standalone

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Have you seen Andre Garzia's Remote DB Lib?
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29338

Given the challenges with setting up MySQL on each machine, with a lib as handy as that one it might even be simpler to make this client-server.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Da_Elf

Post by Da_Elf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:43 am

ive never had any problems setting up mySQL. its an easy install but yes i agree that an internal DB would be preferable but its just i use mySQL all the time and like it lol

TerryL

Post by TerryL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Dunbarx: Could you please post an example of an uncompiled splash stack and its simple working stack in v6 format. As I understand it, there are several variations of this standalone strategy. Thank you. Terry
Beginner Lab (LiveCode tutorial) and StarterKit (my public stacks)
https://tlittle72.neocities.org/info.html

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Well, while your waiting for Dunbarx's super snazzy launcher, here is about the simplest version boiled down I could think of. This is one stack that you save as a standalone, and the other stack is just sitting in the same folder. The only other variation I can think of is exactly what Craig said here:
dunbarx wrote:You make a small stack that may have absolutely nothing on it or in it. Name it "splash".
...In the standalone settings for this stack you can add other stack files to your heart's content . Those stack files contain "working" stacks (and substacks).
...The stack "splash", upon opening, navigates to one or more of those other stacks. It can hide itself. ALL those other stacks can save their data between sessions. So the splash stack becomes the executable, "carrying" along with it other stacks that actually do the stuff you likely worked in the IDE.

Craig
IF you use that method, ignore the lines that say "close this stack" :)

When you go to save the standalone, *only* do the launchMyStack stack, leave the "simplelaunchedstack" one as a stack (not compiled).
You may have to change the standalone settings, I have it set to linux on my system. Hope it helps :)
Attachments
simpleStackLaunchingDemo.zip
(6.12 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm

OK.

So I made a brilliant demo standalone, but it is too large, even zipped, to attach. I almost never attach files. So I am attaching the actual stacks, which you must then make into a standalone. But if you examine them, you will see that you could make something similar in about three minutes. The "splasher" is the splash, and the "worker" is the stack file that you would attach in the standalone settings of "splasher".

Limits for the Mac and Windows standalone are 2MB and 200KB respectively. Is this usual? The stacks, of course, are much smaller. So do others never attach actual standalones?

Craig
Attachments
worker.livecode.zip
(899 Bytes) Downloaded 199 times
Splasher.livecode.zip
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 pm

<Busily downloading Craig's demo :twisted: > um, I try to never attach a standalone, but then, I rarely attach anything but pictures :|

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”