Dictionary does not load in ANY ver of LC

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Dictionary does not load in ANY ver of LC

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Sounds like it was likely the prefs file, as was suggested some time ago. Of course the only way to know for sure would be to follow that earlier guidance with a more focused test to tell us exactly what the specific change was that made the difference.

But if replacing the entire system from a snapshot works for you, since no one else could reproduce this issue perhaps we don't need a big fix; I'm just as happy to see this thread marked "solved" as-is. Glad you got it running.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Ed_Ray

Post by Ed_Ray » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 am

I had already tried getting rid of the prefs files long time ago. It did not solve the problem. Nor did deleting any of the personal files or folders or any thing else previously recommended to be deleted. This was not enough to fix the corrupt dict issue because there were too many other debris left behind from the past installation.

The snapshot of the sandboxed fresh installation is NOT a solution its just PROOF OF CONCEPT. So based on your last post statements it seems you may have misinterpreted the conclusion of the whole sandboxed exercise. The solution is NOT to bring up a new sandboxed LC installation then use the dictionary from there. So let me repeat here what was the actual stated solution and conclusion:

"Please see the attached word document (use google link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8fjB ... GVvR1FBcWs)
for the documented proof of concept, diagrams and conclusions."

In the word document/link the summary and conclusion stated:

Since sandboxed apps run slower than normal and also take additional system space, keeping the app sandboxed just to use the dictionary is NOT sustainable other than to prove the point that as predicted, this will work.

The sandbox proved that based on this type of module corruption without a found exact solution, you will only get the dict back if one re-installs LC from a pristine "never was previously installed" state NOT that the sandbox is a solution.

CONCLUSION:
So the long term solution is to have the LC developers provide a utility to COMPLETELY clean out any prior installation of the LC app (zero footprints left behind including NOTHING of LC left in the registry) with an option to save any personal preferences, personal folders, plugins etc onto a USB flash device etc. to be reloaded in after the fresh re-install. In most cases this utility should already exist since developers typically have to test out new vers of their app without any prior versions existing on the system.

Then the last thing I said:

Hopefully this should provide the needed impetus to resolve by the means specified in the conclusion not just for this particular issue but for most future issues involving corrupt LC modules (dictionary, script, properties dialog etc.) that need to be remedied but to find the exact source and fix proves too difficult and time consuming.

Thanks
Hopes this clarifies what the recommenced solution is based on proving quite convincingly that you have to remove all prior installation footprints from the system then do a fresh re-install before any corrupt module like the dictionary is ever brought back.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:13 pm

If you want this fixed you should file a bug report.

Please post the URL to it here when you do.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Ed_Ray

Post by Ed_Ray » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:10 pm

I am assuming when you say to file a bug report to specify my last concluded recommendation?

I say this because any bug report that does not contain any means to reproduce the conditions that leads to a corrupt LC IDE module and was not remedied by the usual deletion of personal prefs, folders plugins etc is unlikely to be looked at, at all (and perhaps rightly so) or it would typically be handled as specified in the next paragraph.

Based on my experience in actively fixing Engineering problems (not just handling it to some other poor soul to do the work), the other option typically taken by these type of folks assigned to fix problems with no reproducible means, is to put that type of problem at the very bottom of the bug heap to be looked at and fixed "five to infinite" years later when every other bug in the world "has already been fixed" and there is no more real work to do at that point...smile.

OK maybe I am exaggerating a bit but I think you get the point right?

So based on this I will file a bug report later on this week that will be more geared toward the conclusion of my findings and the actual executed proof of concept not the typical bug report because of all the reasons previously specified here and in other related posts many times before.

Thanks

mblackman

Post by mblackman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:00 am

I'm also having this problem with the dictionary - the stack comes up but it is not responding. Need to force quit.
This is a new installation of LC Indy 8.1.9 on Windows 10.
Until now I've been using LC7 with no problems, and to be clear the dictionary in LC7 still works fine.
I have already tried deleting my LC preferences, plugins and document cache to no avail. (These were suggestions posted by Panos in a separate thread).

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 am

When the dictionary won't open (and sometimes when LC won't even open) look in task manager for errant livecode/cefbrowser processes and end those tasks, especially livecode installer tasks. Then restart LC.

mblackman

Post by mblackman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:30 am

Restarted Windows.
Same result. Dictionary window comes up blank and not responding. Force quit required.
Am I the only one with this issue? Evidently the originator of this post had the issue some time ago.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”