Version 8.1.2 continually crashes

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

cusingerBUSCw5N

Version 8.1.2 continually crashes

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:08 am

I was hoping to use 8.1.2 to solve some of the bugs connected with the new releases...but it crashes as soon as I do anything. What's up?
Has this been submitted as a bug yet?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Version 8.1.2 continually crashes

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:11 am

If it was crashing for everyone that would of course have been caught before release.

Try temporarily renaming your Plugins folder, in case a third-party plugin may be the source of the trouble.

If that doesn't resolve it lets explore your boot logs to see where the crash occurs.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:40 am

So...I renamed the plugins folder and the same result. The app appears and then as soon as you click a button it crashes. Just for the record...the app worked yesterday.

Where do you find the boot log?

I also have a problem with the url(turl) not working again. When I tried it in 9.0, it came back "could not resolve host" - even though you can access the file online (both with my computer and an outsider's computer). When I tried it in 8.1.2, it doesn't give that error, but it comes back blank - even though it's just a txt file and there is clearly something in the file. Since everything in my app depends on url(turl) calls, this is a terrible thing.

Do I send this as bug? I've been messing around trying to get this thing to work for 3 weeks now, and I seem to be going backwards. My eventual goal is to bring in an mp4 and send it out again to a server. It works on my desktop, but I'm getting all these problems with an android in test mode. Haven't even approached the IOS.

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:41 am

as I said above... my whole app depends on url(turl) calls... so if that isn't working, that could be the cause of the crashes...

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:50 am

It may be something to do with libURL. It was hard to understand what "do anything" meant. Have you searched the bug DB to see if there are reports open for libURL?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:02 am

"Do anything" means click a button. The app opens and resizes properly, but as soon as you click a button, it crashes.

I found code to get the logs and put this script in the button that crashes (fyi - any button that goes to another card crashes. I haven't tested other buttons because it crashes all the time. Anyway.... This is what's on the button: ( added the report the params to get the log)

Code: Select all

on mouseup
   Report the params && the name of me
DumpReport
go to card "homepage"
end mouseup

I put this in the card script to get the logs

on Report s
global gReportData
put s& cr & the backscripts &cr&cr after gReportData
end Report

on DumpReport
global gReportData
put gReportData into url ("file:"& specialFolderPath("desktop") & "/messagelog.txt")
end DumpReport

Here are the log results
mouseup "1" button "register"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revshortcutslibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Ext/mergJSON-1.0.36/mergJSONLibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revideprojectbrowserlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/palettes/revCore.8.livecode"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revprofileslibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revxmlrpclibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revgeometrylibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revanimationlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revprintlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revcommonlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revliburl.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revidelibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/palettes/revonlinelibrary.rev"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revmetadatalibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revdeploylibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revsblibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revbackscriptlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revidelibrary.8.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revidedocumentationlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revsaveasemscriptenstandalone.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revsaveasandroidstandalone.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revsaveasiosstandalone.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revsaveasstandalone.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revidedeveloperextensionlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revideextensionlibrary.livecodescript"
stack "C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 (rc 1)/Toolset/libraries/revinitialisationlibrary.livecodescript"

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:03 am

This was on my laptop

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:06 am

OK, we need to isolate when and where the problem is occurring.
This from your post
It works on my desktop, but I'm getting all these problems with an android in test mode. Haven't even approached the IOS.
got my attention.

Are you saying that

1. the crashes happen when you press a button on the app in the Simulator (Test Mode)?
or
2. when pressing a button in the stack just in the IDE (no simulator)?
or
both?

Are you able to give the url to your text file so that others can test?
Andy Piddock
https://livecode1001.blogspot.com Built with LiveCode
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/TinyIDE Mini IDE alternative
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/Seth Editor color theming
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/ LiveCode-Multi-Search

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11 pm

I am going to lose my mind. Yesterday, I spent several hours trying to figure out why version 8.1.2 crashed all the time with my livecode file. I posted the problem on the forum and left for several hours.... came back and the same file worked. (I hadn't closed anything - it just started to work). I realized that the file I had been using was an old one - and so I took out the updated one - and it worked as well. I was thrilled.

I tried it this morning, and it worked. It worked - meaning the url(turl) worked, I could click on buttons and go from page to page...and even my effort to transfer mp4 files back and forth to a mobile app worked - on both my laptop (windows) and my test device (android tablet). A complete miracle (since I have been working on this for three weeks).

So I go back into my livecode file to clean up some things - and before I do anything, the laptop url(turl) no longer works. I spent about 45 minutes identifying that that was the true problem - and url(turl) stops the LiveCode program - even though the same url can be retrieves on a browser. (it is https://www.readyconnect.us/app_test.txt) I've had this problem off and on for the past few weeks - so I decided to let it go - because I am really interested in the mobile devices. So...I test it on the mobile device - same file - same device - and the url(turl) works - but when you click a button to go to another page, it crashes. So I go back to my laptop, and url(turl) still doesn't work - and in addition, when you click to go to another page, it crashes.

this is the same file, the same laptop, the same version 8.1.2....my internet connection is working....

You ask to "isolate" the problem. The problem changes.... I can't post a video to this forum, but I've posted it to my website: https://www.readyconnect.us/livecodebroken3.mp4 It's not too exciting - I just open the app, click a button, and it crashes. And by the way...now when you click the button on my laptop to see if url(turl) works - it works again. But the button to go to another page crashes.

I'm going to clean out all the externals that I loaded from merg the other day and see if that changes anything. But if not, I am at a loss

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:15 pm

Just for the record...cleaning out the merg files that I downloaded didn't change anything. On my laptop, url(turl) currently works...but clicking a button to go to another page, crashes the whole thing (the entire LiveCode application closes)

.....I probably didn't mention that before. When url(turl) doesn't work, it just doesn't format things - but the application is still open. When I click the button to go to another page, all of LiveCode shuts down. I have to reopen the whole application

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:44 pm

Just for the record....I did test after test after test....and version 8.1.2 crashes on Windows and Android. Here is a video https://www.readyconnect.us/testcrash.mp4

I filed a bug report.

It has nothing to do with url(turl) calls - because it crashes going into one of my cards that has groups, no url calls and scrolling. But it goes into cards with the same characteristics without crashing.

It doesn't do any of this nonsense in 9.0.

So, I am abandoning using 8.1.2. I will be testing 9.0 to see if it is consistent in not crashing and doing url(turl) calls....

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:21 am

After testing it in Mac and IOS, I found that url(turl) is inconsistent. The app doesn't do a full crash, but it hangs up on some (not all) url(turl) calls. I have submitted a bug report for the whole mess. :cry:

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:39 pm

LC 8.1.2 is not yet a stable release and 9.0 is still a preview in very early development. Neither are suitable yet for serious development.

Your best bet is to go back to 8.1.1 until the next version is marked as stable. It's good you've reported the bugs though, as that's the reason these early releases are made public.

I've seen some instability in 8.1.1 too, but most of the time it seems to work reasonably well.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi all,

I confirm that LC 8.1.2 RC-1 crashes when executing the command "go to card X" AND card X contains buttons with icons. This bug is reported in http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=18812 and it will be fixed in the next 8.1.2 RC-2 release.

Best regards,
Panos
--

cusingerBUSCw5N

Post by cusingerBUSCw5N » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:39 pm

I tried going back to 8.1.1 - but url(turl) doesn't work consistently. This morning at 8 a.m. it didn't work on IOS.... at 9:30 it worked.... now at 11:30 it doesn't work. Same file, same computer...no changes on my end.

For my app, all of the upgrades since 7.06 have been unstable. I have reported the bug and made videos of the problem...but just wanted people to know that just because url(turl) works once...doesn't mean it will work next time. Completely crazy :cry:

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”