What is a "display group"?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Weaksafety

What is a "display group"?

Post by Weaksafety » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:44 am

Hi,

I've been trying to embed a browser into a mobile app for iOS.

Looking at this lesson, http://lessons.runrev.com/m/4069/l/2283 ... er-control everything is pretty clear except for one thing.

At some point it says "First, create a display group with the name Browser". The point is, what's inside of that group?
I've also downloaded the attached stack, and I'm even more puzzled than before. If you open it up, you can actually find a "Browser" group.. that has nothing in it! How is this even possible? :shock:

Just trying to learn of course. Could you please shed some light for this noobie? :D

Thanks a ton!

Mike

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: What is a "display group"?

Post by dave.kilroy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Mike

I think in the lesson they just mean an ordinary group, they should really have said something like "a group that is used for browser display purposes". It's main purpose is to act as a placeholder while working in the IDE so that when the app is running on a mobile device (or the simulator) and a mobile browser is created it's rect can be set to the rect of the group, as in:

Code: Select all

mobileControlSet sBrowserId, "rect", the rect of group "Browser"
Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

jim1001

Re: What is a "display group"?

Post by jim1001 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks Dave for explaining that. It was puzzling me too. Most of the documentation I've seen, including the Livecode Wiki, implies you need more than one object to form a group. I didn't know you could form one containing no objects at all! Live & learn...

All the best,
Jim

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”