LC aborts large repeats..?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

trenatos

LC aborts large repeats..?

Post by trenatos » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:26 am

I'm doing a little light statistical analysis, which means I'm running batches of repeats.

I was having an issue where LC would abort the repeat when I set the number of repeats over roughly 3 million repeats, so I figured I would just do a repeat of repeats, and do batches of 1 million batches each, 10 times, but I'm still having this weird thing where LC aborts the repeat.

The code doesn't hang, I have a progressbar tracking each batch and it seems fine, but every time I put the application in the background, when I check on it it's been aborted.

Anyone know what the cause is and how to fix it? Is there a setting somewhere? Ironically it's the ONLY thing LC has been catching, normally with runaway loops it just crashes the whole thing and I lose whatever data/code I didn't save before running the code..
Marcus

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LC aborts large repeats..?

Post by dunbarx » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi.

I ran a billion repeats. No issues, as I would have thought (and hoped). That said, the repeat loop I ran was of the simplest kind, putting one variable into another. So I cannot say what a more complex process might engender.

Does the problem go away if you simply reduce the number of loops? If so, this is something the team in Scotland would likely want to see.

Craig Newman

trenatos

Re: LC aborts large repeats..?

Post by trenatos » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi Craig,

Yes the issue goes away if I use fewer loops.

I'm using 6.5.2, will test with 6.6 and see if it's the same.
Marcus

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”