Searching the LiveCode Dictionary

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

archer2009BUSknbj

Searching the LiveCode Dictionary

Post by archer2009BUSknbj » Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 am

Is there a way to search the ENTIRE LiveCode Dictionary for a keyword not just the command?

For instance I typed in the word "internet" into the dictionary and got back a single result

But what I'd like to see is a list of every command which mentions the word internet in the comments section

archer2009BUSknbj

Re: Searching the LiveCode Dictionary

Post by archer2009BUSknbj » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 am

BTW where do you go to find a PDF user manual for Android & iOS? I've seen some online lessons but sometimes you need a proper book.

I just downloaded and searched the LiveCode user manual (Document revision 19 dated 2010.11.09) and there's not one word mentioned about Android, Mobile Phones, etc.

I'm guessing from the date of the document November 2010 this manual was written a long time before support for mobile phones was added, and it's nice LiveCode does have some support for the two big smart phone systems but as a newbie I'm struggling to learn LiveCode due to lack of documentation. 99% of what I want to do with LiveCode is mobile phone app related. Most of my learning has been done by searching on Google for what I'm looking for and piecing together scraps of information from various posts and sources.

I was kind of surprised to see so many KickStarter stretch goals but none of those goals said anything about investing time and money into helping newbies to learn LiveCode. A good start would be to update that user manual with updated information, updated screenshots from the latest version of LiveCode and of course all the mobile phone stuff that's missing from it.

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Dixie » Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 am

In the liveCode IDE... under the 'Help' menu you will see the menu items for the 'iOS, Android release notes'

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Wed May 01, 2013 2:19 pm

You might look at bvgDocu2, takes the dictionary data, converts it and makes it very searchable. Can be found here: http://bjoernke.com/?target=bvgdocu

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 pm

:oops:

:mrgreen:
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”