How to generat a .keystore file?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

abanowBUSTfGf

How to generat a .keystore file?

Post by abanowBUSTfGf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 am

I've no idea how to generate a .keystore file.
Can anyone help? Thanks.

gpb01
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to generat a .keystore file?

Post by gpb01 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 am

Have you looked at the "Lessons" on the RunRev web site (http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons) ?

E.g. this one ... http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4 ... ndroid-app ?

Guglielmo

archer2009BUSknbj

Post by archer2009BUSknbj » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:30 am

Are you saying that in June 2013 - using LiveCode 6 that if we want to sign oour app we need to use the command line?

Is there no automated, point and click way to do it in Windows 7?

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 am

Is there no automated, point and click way to do it in Windows 7?
Nope, but I think there is chatter in the Engine forum about easing Android deployment. You can follow development.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

archer2009BUSknbj

Post by archer2009BUSknbj » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:51 pm

I hope RunRev have a decent plan for fixing LiveCode's existing short-coming's before they try to do something totally different like add support for Windows Phones.

By taking the project OpenSource they've opened the door to millions of potential future LiveCode users, but the trouble is most of us are newbies to all of this stuff and a lot of use grew up not ever knowing what DOS was.

I really hope RunRev have realised that by taking the decision to become open Sourced they've not got a whole new user-base of people that need to be catered for. A group that requires more hand holding and more regular communication from them.

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi Archer,
I've never seen a post here with the subject "I got my Android APK running and the app in Play store in 1 go".
People who don't have problems with LC Android/other don't post questions. I wonder how many people there are like that 10's 100's 1000's? I didn't have problems.
Not trying to invalidate your concerns (really) just trying to make sure things are in perspective.

Have you noticed that LC iOS and Android are not equal? There are plenty more things you can do with iOS than Android in LC (no externals). I think it's been a couple of years since Android had an update (OK LC 6.0.2 but that was a show stopper and dang RunRev moved fast on that). I'm hoping with the new employees at RunRev more will get done faster.

"Open Source" is not synonymous with "Easy to Use". GIMP, VLC while great, are not as slick as PhotoShop or QuickTIme.

The Lessons are the best way to learn to use LC, sometimes they slip out of date, post a note there to Hanson, he's seems on top of things.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

archer2009BUSknbj

Post by archer2009BUSknbj » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 am

Fair Do's that OpenSource doesn't mean something has to be easy to use ...

But most OpenSource projects I've ever had any experience of didn't started off with over 10 years as a closed source commercial venture and then made a massive switch one day.
As a newcomer to all of this it feels like RunRev just flicked a switch and went from closed source to OpenSource but they kept their most useful learning materials (The videos) locked away.
It would have been so much better for us newbies if they'd just put making the learning videos freely available as part of their extra stretch goals.
Unfortunately I only ever found out about LiveCide after the Kickstarer had already finished.

I don't really pay much attention to what the iPhone can do vs Android simply because I can't afford to buy an iPhone, I do have a nice Samsung phone but I was lucky enough to win that in a competition.

Even if I could afford an iPhone I'd still rather have Android due to it's more open nature and according to RunRev, we'd have to buy a commercial licence to publish to Apple's Store, so for now I'm counting myself out of making Apps for iPhones and happy just to concentrate on Android.

I have to admit though I spent this weekend at a Hackathon and watched one guy in our team create an Android App from scratch in 2 days using Eclipse and Java and although it looked extremely hard to understand at first - the results were amazing in terms of having a wonderful, simple design which was a joy to use.

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:02 am

if they'd just put making the learning videos freely available
I agree! But that would make a lot of people who just paid for it angry. The Business Academy and Game are pretty new... err well... 2 years+?
I guess RunRev is caught between a rock and a hard place. Too bad, it's the lumps they/you have to take.
I don't really pay much attention to what the iPhone can do...
Neither do I (accept that I think iOS / Android parity would be fair). I'm not a MacAholic, iPhone... blah, market share who's on top? But the roots of LC are Mac and they draw a lot of income from there. Play to your audience.

Now, if you were a Desktop developer how happy would you be with LC?
LC ROCKS!
Heck, Desktop has done me very well, no complaints, so I am part of the fold.

RunRev is a business with history, us newcomers have to slog along till they catch up with our wishes.

Simon

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”