Opinions on RunRev DVD Set 12 & RunRev Simulcast 12 For...

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

shawnblc
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Opinions on RunRev DVD Set 12 & RunRev Simulcast 12 For...

Post by shawnblc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 pm

I'd like opinions on the RunRev DVD Set 12 & the RunRev 12 Simulcast for a complete newbie. I have no prior programming experience. Back 4-6 months ago I purchased the Gold Bundle and haven't made much of a dent in my LiveCode education. I'm hoping to change that.

Here's the link for the RunRev videos.

FourthWorld

Re: Opinions on RunRev DVD Set 12 & RunRev Simulcast 12 For.

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 am

Have you read the User Guide?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 am

FourthWorld wrote:Have you read the User Guide?

I've had a LC license for 4-6months. Yes, I've read the User Guide, and have read many parts of the LC Dictionary. Even bought a copy of Colin's book. Are you politely trying to suggest that the videos are no better than the User Guide?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:37 am

Not at all. It's just that most people looking for learning materials haven't yet cracked the User Guide. It's quite large - I'm impressed that you've read it.

The conferences are pretty good, IMO, but I'm biased since I speak at most of them. As useful as they can be, the topics often tend toward specific types of tasks rather than a sequence which can lend itself to getting started.

What parts of the language are you having trouble with? What sorts of things would you like to build, and how far have you gotten with them?
Richard Gaskin

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi,

The simulcast videos are definitely not meant for newbies. Most videos are interesting for advanced programmers and there are only a few sessions (or maybe even one?) that are really interesting for newbies. You will be tremendously disappointed after paying that much money for a bunch of videos of modest quality. In my opinion, such videos should be made available for free.

There are resources available for free, as you can see here http://qery.us/3c8 These resources even include quite a few free videos by RunRev that are suited to starters. If you're still missing something or if you become a huge fan of RunRev, after going through these resources, you could always still buy those simulcast videos.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Thank you Richard and Mark. Just the type of replies I was hoping to receive. I'll have to go back thru the User Guide, continue with the Dictionary, and start creating.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi Shawn,

and don't forget to take a look here:
http://www.runrev.com/developers/lesson ... nferences/ :D

Best

Klaus

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks Klaus, I'll give those another round or two too. Evidently, I'm not as quick to grasp LC as some others. ;)
Klaus wrote:Hi Shawn,

and don't forget to take a look here:
http://www.runrev.com/developers/lesson ... nferences/ :D

Best

Klaus

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Shawnbic...

Just out of interest.. What are you finding difficulty in getting your head around ?... What for you are the major hurdles that you have run into as a new user ?

be well

Dixie

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:45 pm

shawnblc wrote:I'll have to go back thru the User Guide, continue with the Dictionary, and start creating.
Like Stanley Kubrick said of filmmaking: "The best way to learn how to make a film is to grab a camera and shoot any kind of film at all."

If you start with simple experiments rather than diving directly into your dream app, you'll have the confidence to explore freely.

Have fun, and let us know if you have any areas you could use a hand with along the way. The LiveCode language is simple enough, but it's also deep and occasionally inconsistent. Lots to learn, but I think you're about to have a very good time.
Richard Gaskin

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Dixie wrote:Just out of interest.. What are you finding difficulty in getting your head around ?... What for you are the major hurdles that you have run into as a new user ?

be well

Dixie
Hey Dixie,

I guess it's kind of hard to explain without sounding like a complete idiot. Even after looking at the code in a few dozen stacks, I can read the code and understand what's going on, but when it comes to rolling my own stack I'm finding it difficult to know what to do, when to do it, and where to write it.

In a little bit I'll upload a .livecode stack and have some of you veterans try and point me in the right direction.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 pm

shawnblc wrote:
Dixie wrote:Even after looking at the code in a few dozen stacks, I can read the code and understand what's going on, but when it comes to rolling my own stack I'm finding it difficult to know what to do, when to do it, and where to write it.
I know the feeling. I used to feel that way in the kitchen, but now I bake my own bread.

Post your stuff and we'll poke around with it and you'll pick this up in no time.
Richard Gaskin

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

I've worked up a little two question quiz. Trying to understand how all of this works together. You'll see some notes in light grey on the third card of what I've been trying to accomplish, but haven't been able.

As you can see in the attachment, I'm having trouble "seeing" what goes next and how to implement what I intend.
Last edited by shawnblc on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 am

FourthWorld wrote:
shawnblc wrote:I'll have to go back thru the User Guide, continue with the Dictionary, and start creating.
Like Stanley Kubrick said of filmmaking: "The best way to learn how to make a film is to grab a camera and shoot any kind of film at all."
I tried and it didn't work for me. Hands down the best bang for the buck was the LC Summer Academy (where we did an iPhone application from start to finish). Looking over Elanors shoulder for 12 weeks made the world of difference. I could see how she was "thinking" when she was attacking the problem. Thats something I could never get from a user guide or dictionary. I had to actually watch someone attack a problem and solve it before I understood what the process was like in LC (for example watching her write code that resizes and repositions objects on the screen when you rotate the device). The best computer books do the same thing... set out a problem and then walk you through the solution. In my mind there cannot be enough such examples around. After that, the references and dictionaries are fine because they are just there to remind what the terms and concepts are (again). I would not be LCing today if it were not for the 12 weeks of tutorial lessons from Ms. Buchanon. It doesn't hurt that she is a naturally gifted instructor (thanks Elanor!)

My 2 cents.

-- Mark

(BTW, your mileage may very. I did not find the game academy anywhere near as useful because I am not into games so the material never grabbed my attention. Now, how to create a spreadsheet app... That would be heaven :D ).
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:30 am

marksmithhfx wrote: I tried and it didn't work for me. Hands down the best bang for the buck was the LC Summer Academy (where we did an iPhone application from start to finish). Looking over Elanors shoulder for 12 weeks made the world of difference......
I think something like that would be fantastic. However, I haven't seen it offered (perhaps it was before I was introduced to LC). I too, am more interested in business type applications & apps. Something like that, I'd even be willing to shell out a couple of dollars for.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”