Help with IOS Simulators

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Nakia

Help with IOS Simulators

Post by Nakia » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 am

Hi,

I am new to all of this but very keen to learn.

I have downloaded the newest version of LiveCode 5.02 and have also downloaded Xcode 4.3 which has the latest SDK for IOS within.
Downloading this was a mission to say the least but what I had to do after it finally downloaded through APP store i had to copy the Contents to "/" as the apple installer didn't create this directory....

I have everything set up within Live Code as per the tutorial etc but I just just cant seem to get the IOS simulators to work..

The SDK path is set correctly in preferences and I can see the 2 SIMS (IPAD 5.0 and IPhone 5.0) available to test against.
When i press the test button LiveCode erros with the following

"Unable to start simulator: 634,0,0,iPhone simulator version not found 573,155,1,revlPhoneSetSimulatorSDK"

If i navigate to the path where the Sim Exists I can run it just fine, so this leads me to believe that it must be something within LiveCode.

Any help you could provide would be great..

Kia

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Help with IOS Simulators

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi Kia,

If the installer didn't create the /Developer directory, then I suggest you uninstall XCode, create the /Developer directory if it hasn't been created yet, and run the installer again. Make sure that the /Developer directory is created in the root of your startup disk and not in your Home directory. This way, you are sure that all files are in the correct location and that all permissions are correct.

If this doesn't work, you might try installing an older SDK. I believe those are available from Apple's iOS developers site. I do have some problems with SDK 5.0 sometimes, but 4.3 works perfectly for me.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi Kia,

the sad truth is, LiveCode is currently not compatible with XCode 4.3!

Hi Mark,

the new XCode 4.3, released a couple of days before, comes as ONE application bundle
and will remove the complete "/Developer" folder structure!

Best

Klaus

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Oops, I didn't know that, Klaus. Does that also apply to the XCode version available from the developers site? I just had a look and I can only find XCode for Snow Leopard and XCode for Lion. I guess the version for Lion is the one that's currently incompatible.

I am currently using Snow Leopard and XCode 4.2 and am happy with it. I think I'll keep it this way for a while. Kia, if you have the possibility to use Snow Leopard, then you can download XCode 4.2 from the developers site and use that instead.

Note that I'm using XCode 4.2 with iOS SDK's 4.3 and 5.0 (on Snow Leopard) with LiveCode 5.0.2.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi,

if you go to the Mac Dev Center in the Apple Developer site (log in)
Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-21 um 13.50.00.png
if you click "View all downloads" there is a version 4.2 for Lion:
Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-21 um 13.50.27.png
might be worth a try.

Kind regards

Bernd

Nakia

Post by Nakia » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 am

Klaus wrote:Hi Kia,

the sad truth is, LiveCode is currently not compatible with XCode 4.3!

Hi Mark,

the new XCode 4.3, released a couple of days before, comes as ONE application bundle
and will remove the complete "/Developer" folder structure!

Best

Klaus
Thanks everyone for all your help.

I was starting to think I wasn't cut out for this and was missing something really obvious :(

Should I uninstall XCode 4.3 that I currently have installed before installing Xcode 4.2?
If so, what is the cleanest way to do this that will remove the /Developer folder and all of it's contents from the root the drive as well as the Xcode application?
And is there anything "special" I need to do to install the DMG I will get from the Dev Centre? Just simply
double click and it will install all the components into the correct locations??
(obviously Xcode 4.3 didn't do this as I had to copy the contents manually into the correct locations :evil: )

Thanks again

Nakia

Post by Nakia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Just a quick follow up,

removing xCode 4.3 and replacing it with xCode 4.2 has fixed this issue.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Kia

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”