AppleScript issue

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: AppleScript issue

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 23, 2023 7:34 pm

In all fairness, while the originators of this way of working, Apple's HyperCard team. saw the benefits of having one standard place for establishing the user's preference for script text font and size, and some of the best dialects followed suit, the true value of this feature is not self-evident, and perhaps easily underappreciated.

Consider the number of tools in our community over the years - none of them that I'm aware of have remembered those two global properties as a convenient solution except my own and maybe a couple others.

Even this conversation was instinctively heading toward much more complex solutions of altering IDE objects, rather than HyperCard's with-the-grain solution.

So while I do see this as every bit as valuable to us as the HyperCard team saw it for their world (more so, really, given the extensibility and flexibility of LC), I can understand how sometimes the simplest and most elegant option isn't remembered.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

mcelvain

Re: AppleScript issue

Post by mcelvain » Wed May 24, 2023 10:04 pm

Thank-you, Bernd !

I will test your patch tonight, and then reply with the results.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”