Browser Widget doesn't release focus to fields

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

montymay

Browser Widget doesn't release focus to fields

Post by montymay » Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 am

I am using LC 7.1.3 and Windows. When in Browse Mode of the IDE I click into a text field in order to enter text, nothing happens. To enter text, I have been changing to Edit Mode, selecting the field, changing back to Browse Mode, and then clicking into the field. Is this normal? Is there a better fix than my method?

Thanks for your replies.

Monty
Last edited by montymay on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Problem entering text in fields when in Browse Mode of I

Post by FourthWorld » Wed May 11, 2016 4:32 am

Did you perhaps turn off the field's autoHilite property?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

montymay

Post by montymay » Wed May 11, 2016 6:03 am

Thanks for your reply. AutoHilite is turned on in all fields.

I might add that my application is now several years old and has never been a standalone. It has been developed in different versions of LC, including LC 8, but is now in LC 7.1.3. It consists of about a dozen substacks. The file is about 70 MB. The problem behavior appears in all the fields of all the cards of all the stacks. Occasionally, the program lets me type into text fields without my workaround, and I don't understand what I did differently, but the normal behavior is as described.

I noticed just now when I create a new stack with fields, I can type into the fields in Browse Mode without doing the workaround. Is it possible that the long checquered history of my application has something to do with this "disease" and the cure, if it exists, will be too difficult find without professional help? :wink: If so, then I think I can and must soldier on with my "workaround."

Monty

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed May 11, 2016 8:27 am

How about 'traversalOn'?
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

montymay

Post by montymay » Wed May 11, 2016 10:32 am

TraversalOn is on in all the fields. Any other suggestions? Should I try a previous or later version of LC? If so, are there any rules to follow in doing so?

Monty

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed May 11, 2016 10:38 am

Do you have any handlers in your fields' scripts? Are the fields set to any behaviors? What happens if you create a new field in your stack (in LC7.1.3) - is that also wonky? Do you have any handlers at the card or stack level that might interfere with your editing such rawkeydown?

montymay

Post by montymay » Wed May 11, 2016 6:09 pm

The fields do not have handlers, but the fields are part of a background group so that new cards will have the same fields. I did notice that autotab for all fields was off, so I set autotab to true, but it didn't seem to fix the problem. So I opened the inspector for the background group and looked at its settings. I set backgroundgroupBehavior from true to false and then tried to enter text in Run Mode and it seemed to work. If this is the problem, then it seems that I should leave backgroundgroupBehavior on off and manually put the backgrounds on new cards.

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed May 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Nah being part of a background group shouldn't cause a problem - does the group contain any scripts that might interfere?

One other property to try, do you by any chance have 'lockText' enabled in the fields?

Also, do new fields that you create in the group behave OK?

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 pm

@montymay did you ever track down what the problem was?

montymay

Post by montymay » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:39 am

To dave.kilroy

Sorry, but other issues and projects came up since my last post to this topic. No, I still have the same issue. I added a new field to the group and was unable to enter text until I did the procedure first described. The field is definitely not locked. The other settings suggested above were looked at, and not found to make a difference.

I have many substacks in my main stack, and the problem occurs in all the fields of each substack. Perhaps there is a way of creating a new stack and testing it to recreate the problem.

Monty

montymay

Post by montymay » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 am

Hi LiveCode Forum members,

It is a year later since the last post in this thread and I have continued working on my application in the IDE despite the problem, which is that after going from one card to another that I previously opened I cannot enter text into a field unless I first toggle the modes, i.e., switch to edit mode and then click back to browse mode. In other words, when I open a card for the first time, I can enter text, but when I return, I cannot unless I toggle the modes. (The alternative of entering text into the Content pane also worked, but the first method is faster.) I thought it would behave correctly when I created a standalone, but the problem is worse. I cannot enter text in a field at all: there is no edit mode. I tried all the above suggestions without success. I am working now in LC 8.1.3, Business Edition, Windows 10, but it seems to make no difference which version or license is used. Maybe it's the my personal computer environment, as no one has reported the same kind of problem. I would appreciate any further thoughts on the matter.

Monty May
Last edited by montymay on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 am

Maybe it's the my personal computer environment
Well the simplest way to determine whether this is the case is to install LiveCode on
another computer and test your stack.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:33 am

Hi Ive just run a test with one stack with two cards each containing a background group with a text field.
Added a substack and copied the background group to it.
All working as expected.

I can however reproduce what you see if the following is set.

In the project Browser right click on the field in the top level stack and card 1.
Uncheck "Can Receive Keyboard Focus"

This will override the "Focus with Keyboard" in the fields property settings.

Also please note that changes to the group in the main stack are not reflected in the substack .

I've attached this stack so that you can test, coded with LC 8.14 Community.
Attachments
TopLevelStack.zip
(695 Bytes) Downloaded 189 times
Andy Piddock
https://livecode1001.blogspot.com Built with LiveCode
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/TinyIDE Mini IDE alternative
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/Seth Editor color theming
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/ LiveCode-Multi-Search

montymay

Post by montymay » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks Andy for your suggestion and test stack.

Yes, if I uncheck "Can receive keyboard focus" of a field in the Project Browser or "Focus with the Keyboard" in the Property Inspector of the same field (aren't they two different ways of doing the same thing rather than the former action "overriding" the latter one?), then I can't click into the fields of your test stack or my stack.

In my stack all the fields with the aberrant behavior have traversalon turned on, and can be clicked into and receive keystrokes. but when I leave the card and then return and try to delete or edit the text, the text is selected and a blinking cursor can be seen after the text, but pressing keys does nothing unless I change something in the IDE environment. Until today I thought only toggling the browse/edit mode fixed it, but today I noticed other changes in the IDE environment had the same result, such I making the opened Project Browser an active window or vice versa.

Maybe I have to get a new computer! :cry:

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 am

Maybe I have to get a new computer!
How about taking my advice in an earlier posting, then you'll know
if it's your system setup or not.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”