Lesson 4 stack with instructions problems.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, asayd

vinixkappler

Lesson 4 stack with instructions problems.

Post by vinixkappler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi, I stopped studying for a while and decided to start the course again. So I've downloaded the new version 1.3.2, but when I got to lesson 4 activity I found some problems. When the stack is opened it downloads the pictures correctly, but then, the stack with the instructions is small and I can't read all the instructions, even when I try to maximize it. And, there's some play icons to open a video instruction that don't work. It's possible to see an error on code editor window. I upload the screenshot with the error.
stack4.jpg
Thanks!
Vinicius Oliveira

jboon321

Re: Lesson 4 stack with instructions problems.

Post by jboon321 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi, I'm having the same problem.

Does anyone have the answer?! :?:

I'm on a mac.

Haasz

Post by Haasz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Same problem here!?!?
Anyone who knows how to fix it?

jboon321

Post by jboon321 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi

I have given up waiting for an answer so it was time to fiddle! :P

It seems that if you open the stack from the lesson. Click the Run (browse tool) arrow in the Tools palette, then in the top menu click Development and then Suspend Development Tools, then click Restore development tools you should then be able to resize the window and play the video and get on with learning! :D

Haasz

Post by Haasz » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks, it worked :D :lol:

asayd
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by asayd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:39 am

Good sleuthing, jboon321. Although I can't imagine why that fixes the problem. I can't replicate the problem here.

Vinicius, did you try this workaround?

Devin
Devin Asay
Learn to code with LiveCode University
https://livecode.com/store/education/

asayd

Post by asayd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 am

vinixkappler wrote:Hi, I stopped studying for a while and decided to start the course again. So I've downloaded the new version 1.3.2, but when I got to lesson 4 activity I found some problems. When the stack is opened it downloads the pictures correctly, but then, the stack with the instructions is small and I can't read all the instructions, even when I try to maximize it. And, there's some play icons to open a video instruction that don't work. It's possible to see an error on code editor window. I upload the screenshot with the error.

Thanks!
Vinicius Oliveira
Actually, now I reread your post, I wonder if this might be a QuickTime problem. Do you have QuickTime installed on your system? LCU (and LiveCode) depend on QT for video playback. If the player object didn't get created because QT is missing, it might cause an error like this.

Regards,

Devin
Devin Asay

vinixkappler

Post by vinixkappler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi everyone! Thanks for your help. I just realized that the QT was missing right after posting! Then I could see the video window, but I tried jboon321 tip and I got to resize the video/instructions window. Unfortunately it freezes after resizing and I continue with out seeing the instructions. I think, it a programming error in the stack but I have no idea! :lol:

Thanks!

enkerli

Post by enkerli » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Phew! Made it work.
So, I’m new to LC, LCU, and these forums. I ran into the same problems as others, getting the following error message after clicking on the “Get Image Files” button:

Code: Select all

execution error at line n/a (Object: property is not an integer) near "-206"
I would see the video as a slim player controls, but couldn’t resize it.
After searching for information on this error, I wrote to support to enquire about this.
Thankfully for me, Heather from support sent me jboon321’s (admittedly kludgy) workaround. The first time I tried resizing, I started by widening that window and it got stuck with invisible instructions, just like vinixkappler. Then I redid the whole process and started by resizing vertically. Only then was I able to see the instructions.

QT works well on my Mavericks 10.9.1 system. In fact, I successfully created the stack before getting Heather’s message by watching the .mov file in the QT player. It’s also my first mobile app as I was eventually able to download a signed version to my Nexus 7.

Devin, if you need more help debugging this, let us know. It’s a particularly disabling problem because it comes exactly at the time in the learning process when we’re supposed to achieve something concrete for the first time, after the overwhelming truck robot assignment.

asayd

Post by asayd » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 pm

enkerli,

Thanks for the post. That's actually a very useful clue that I can use to try to troubleshoot this. It's been a vexing problem because I've been unable to reproduce it here. Hopefully I'll have a solution soon.

Happy New Year!

Devin
Devin Asay

asayd

Re: Lesson 4 stack with instructions problems: FIXED

Post by asayd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:02 am

Hi all,

I have finally been able to reproduce the problem people have been seeing with Lesson 4: First Stack Instructions. It turns out that it only occurs in LiveCode v. 6.5 and later, because of a minor change that was made in LiveCode. I have modified the stack to avoid the problem, and you can get the update by choosing Check for Content Updates from the Help menu. You may want to quit LiveCode and relaunch it to make sure that the new version of the Lesson 4 stack gets launched (sometimes old versions of opened stacks remain in memory in LiveCode until it is quit).

I apologize for all of the hair pulling that resulted from this bug. Please let me know if it still isn't working for you. (Or if it is. )

Regards,

Devin
Devin Asay

vinixkappler

Post by vinixkappler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 am

Hi everyone!
Devin, I updated my LCU and I did the lesson 4 activity perfectly! Thanks for your support! I would like to suggest an installing instruction of LCU: the need of QT, I don't remember seeing it anywhere at Livecode website. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks all the other guys with their comments and efforts to solve it!

Hugs,
Vinícius Oliveira

asayd

Post by asayd » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Vinícius,

Glad to hear the fix worked for you. We do list QT as a requirement on the Help site at http://lcu.byu.edu/help/install.lc. But I don't think it's listed on the download site. I'll suggest that to support.

Devin
Devin Asay

Return to “LiveCode University”