LiveCode University software v123 is full of bugs. *FIXED*

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, asayd

keram

LiveCode University software v123 is full of bugs. *FIXED*

Post by keram » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:21 pm

So full that it is painful to use it - it's just a source of frustration and disappointment.

First of all whenever I start it up it each time it asks for the registration number. Then it detects that there are updates available. Of course there must be updates available because I cannot view the examples of many lessons, they are not displayed - the package is incomplete as it is offered for download.

When I click on 'Check for Content Updates' it shows Updating Resources dialog and starts downloading something but it shows 'Network Status offline' in the top bar even though I'm connected to internet.

Shortly after that it hangs up. After a while it shows an error message: 'Unable to create database cursor on resources table query: Lost connection to MySQL server during query.'

My download speed meter shows 10-30 MB files downloaded but where are they??! Why are they not showing up in LCU as content?!

I emailed all these points to LiveCode support (Heather) 4 weeks ago but as today there is no improvement.
Yes, I do have a slow mobile internet connection, but I tried to do the same update 2 weeks ago using broadband and the results were the same.

The only way it will work if the developers will provide a download link for an offline updater file so that the update downloads can be resumed when interrupted, but that maybe they don't understand why it's important to do for thousands of people that have slow internet connections.
Using the latest stable version of LC Community 6.7.x on Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit

asayd
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode University software v123 is full of bugs.

Post by asayd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:44 am

Keram,
I just now saw this. (I'm supposed to get automatic emails from posts to the forum, but they seem not to be working.) Very sorry about the problems. I will look into it ASAP. By any chance were you using an earlier version (1.1.x) of LCU then upgraded? That might cause some of these problems.
I'll get back to you when I know something more.
Devin
Devin Asay
Learn to code with LiveCode University
https://livecode.com/store/education/

keram

Post by keram » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:51 am

Hi Devin,

No, I was using version 123 and still use the same version.

I'm not receiving the automatic notifications about the responses to my posts either. Perhaps someone from Admin could fix it?

I want to emphasize that the only way for reliable updating of LCU for all the people with slow internet connections is if you will provide a download link for an offline updater file so that the update downloads can be resumed when interrupted.

Thanks.

keram
Using the latest stable version of LC Community 6.7.x on Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit

asayd

Post by asayd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Keram,
I'm looking into these problems today. Can you let me know what your platform OS and version are? Want to make sure that the problems are not just on one platform.

Devin
Devin Asay

keram

Post by keram » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:58 am

Hi Devin,
asayd wrote:I'm looking into these problems today.
Great!

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit running on Intel Core i3 M379, 240 GHz with 4GB RAM

Looking forward to the solution.

keram

asayd

Post by asayd » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:45 am

keram wrote: I want to emphasize that the only way for reliable updating of LCU for all the people with slow internet connections is if you will provide a download link for an offline updater file so that the update downloads can be resumed when interrupted.
Keram,

I haven't implemented an offline uploader before; can you tell me a little bit more about what you mean by that? Are you talking about a web link that allows you to d/l the updates using your browser, that you can then choose it from inside LCU? If so, I think I could set up something like that without too much trouble.

If you want to contact me offline I can suggest some things to try in the meantime while I'm working on a new release. It might also be able to send you a test build for you to try out before I officially release it. I develop on Mac and only have one Win 7 Professional box at work for testing. Don't know if there are significant differences between that and Win 7 Home.

You can email me at devin[underscore]asay[at]byu[dot]edu

Regards,

Devin
Devin Asay

asayd

Re:LiveCode University software v123 is full of bugs *FIXED*

Post by asayd » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:51 am

All,
Thanks to some great help from keram I have been able to track down and fix the bugs he was describing. The new version, v. 1.3.2, in now available for download at http://university.livecode.com.

Devin
Devin Asay

farouk23

Re: LiveCode University software v123 is full of bugs. *FIXE

Post by farouk23 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Can someone help me, my livecode university is not tracking progress in the Unit courses taken. what is wrong?

asayd

Re: LiveCode University software v123 is full of bugs. *FIXE

Post by asayd » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Farouk,

Have you tried downloading the newest version 1.3.2? That was one of the problems that should be fixed.

Devin
Devin Asay

Return to “LiveCode University”