Creating your own button arrow

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, asayd

chris25

Creating your own button arrow

Post by chris25 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Screen shot 2013-10-20 at 17.13.17.png
Screen shot 2013-10-20 at 17.13.45.png
Thought this was going to be the most starightforward simplest of tasks ever known to man! How wrong I was, talking about being dissuaded.....

The Bottom set of buttons are mine, the top is from the lessons

I created a quick and silly button arrow in photoshop for livecode to practise a few things. 3 hours later ....you can imagine my thoughts. Going through reams of exercises....So having failed miserably I went back to the early exercise and realised I had the same problem as before,they don't really tell you exactly HOW to create your own button. Because this is the problem I have: point number 13 from these instructions here did not work on my new buttons because...

As you can see from my buttons I have the wrong property inspector box, well not wrong I know, but how do I get to the property inspector that comes from the default buttons? I have to change something in order to make my imported buttons have the property inspector that the default buttons automatically have ? Point number 13 here below well I don't know, how do I assign the various properties to my image buttons when I can not access these properties.

INSTRUCTIONS FROM LESSON:
LiveCode makes it simple to use custom icons from buttons, simply by using imported images. Follow these steps to do this.
1. Create a transparent button. (Use the Style popup in the Basic panel of the property inspector.) Give the button a name and label.
2. Choose the Icons & Border panel in the inspector.
3. Next to the icon field, click the wand tool.
4. Select an image from those displayed.
5. How does the button's appearance change?
6. Click the wand again to change the icon.
7. Choose This Stack from the popup list at the top. This shows all the images you previously imported. Choose one. Note that any imported image can also be used as a button icon.
8. Rename your button "Previous".
9. Click the button at right to download a several images in a folder called "ArrowImageIcons". Note where you saved the image files.
10. Choose File menu > Import as Control > All Images in Folder... Navigate to the ArrowImageIcons folder you just downloaded and select it. You should see all of the images in the folder appear in the center of your card.
11. Select and hide all of the arrow images you just imported. (Uncheck the "visible" checkbox in the property inspector for all the images.)
12. Return to the Icons and Border panel for your transparent button.
13. Assign the various icon types—Normal, Hilite, Disabled, Hover—to the appropriate button states, using the left-facing arrow set.
14. Test the button to see the various states in action: normal icon, down or hilited icon, disabled icon, hover icon.
15. Copy your button and name the copied button "Next".
16. Assign the icons to the Next button, this time using the right-facing arrows.

shawnblc
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Creating your own button arrow

Post by shawnblc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Let's see if this gets you going.

File > Import as Control > Image File

You can import more than one image file as a control at a time. Then go to Tools > Project Browser and you can set the visibility of the control, you can also use the object inspector on each image.

bn

Post by bn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Chris,

the images you show:

upper image shows the properties Inspector for a BUTTON as you can see in the header
lower image shows the properties inspector for the image. BUt you want to open the properties inspector for the BUTTON that you want to assign the image to.

To open the properties inspector for the button you must select the button. Then you can assign the image to the button as icon in -> Icons and Borders

Kind regards
Bernd

chris25

Post by chris25 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Screen shot 2013-10-20 at 19.39.50.png
Damn it - I did that earlier on, but I forgot to make transparent the default button, damn it.
Last edited by chris25 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 pm

chris25, also check out out vis (visible) in the dictionary.

bn

Post by bn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Chris,

that is ok to say d*** it.
But there is a forum limit to 3 (three) d*** it per week.

Otherwise the moderators will edit your post :)

d*** kind regards
Bernd

chris25

Post by chris25 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:48 pm

two out of three aint bad, Mmm one of my favourite songs as well (bat out of hell) great film as well very interesting story about meatloaf. whoops off topic - Anyway thankyou. I will most certainly look at the dictionary. Any chance you could perhaps have a stab at my other post regards the Grouping thing?

Thankyou gentlemen

chris25

Post by chris25 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:42 pm

I have just lost ALL of my formatting.!@$%342@#$@@#!

I did the buttons, I assigned the hover and default icon through ID numbers. Everything worked a treat, I grouped them, still working as I moused over them. I then selected each new card in turn and went: GO - PLACE GROUP on every card. Then bang bloody bang the buttons had no hover left in them........................this is nuts.

bn

Post by bn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi Chris,
the buttons had no hover left in them
was this in all the groups or just the newly placed groups?
Where is the image for the hover icon stored? Was that stack open when this happened?

Kind regards
Bernd

chris25

Post by chris25 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi, this was in the groups. I do not know what you mean by "that stack opened" The stack was open, the cards were displaying, they are a part of the stack.

I have to say I am now really pi%$#d off. This is the fifth time this week that livecode has crashed. But just now it crashed BIG time leaving me unable to re-start my lovely apple mac 10.6.8 I had to switch keyboards and open up terminal, purge the memory from the start-up disc and then re-start the computer from the boot up. I now have deleted absolutely everything to do with live code from my machine, and judging by the amount of stuff it left in the memory (uncleared) and the fact that the Kernel cache increases in size every time I open the darn software, (from 90 mb to 120 mb then 140 mb then 160 mb) I am not happy. I told them some days ago that it crashed my machine but they said that no one else has a problem, they asked me to make a video screen capture, but how the hell can I run that especially not being able to predict when it crashes! Nevertheless I have noticed bug after bug appearing during normal operation, I hovered over one of my buttons that I was just talking about only 1 hour ago and there appeared the words "LIVECODE-REV with an image out of nowhere and I can promise you I had done nothing and I never have any other programs running except for LC University. So everything is in the bin and I am now going to clear out the system kernel cache and other modules. I forgot to add that this all happened when I went from 6 to 6.1.2 - don't know if that was the problem,.

I am very dis-heartened by the whole experience to be honest - I was so looking forward to becoming in a year or so a really professional user, but a combination of crashes, bugs, and taking hours to find answers is really not conducive with the learning process. I have taught myself some rather difficult pieces of software over the years, but those softwares has professional instructed videos and well organised help topics for each and every situation with well thought out instructions.

I think Livecode is great, has great potential and I would have loved to have seen myself promoting its best to those around me, but I am at my end.

I want to thank everyone for their help, it's a shame - you guys are very helpful, but I am sorry it has ended this way.

I will visit this forum a couple more times just to see if anyone is replying so that I can thank them.

regards
Chris

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:18 pm

D*** it!

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:22 pm

chris25, sorry to hear about the issues your having and the understandable frustration.

chris25

Post by chris25 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi Simon, I know, I found our chats and your demonstrations extremely helpful, but no sooner had I the confidence to proceed with the smallest of tasks I then hit the most silliest of problems, I mean creating a button and placing it on every card? I did that in HTML first time around in code from a manual in an old book, and that was without Dreamweaver cs3. I sent an email a few days ago asking to receive the previous version of Livecode, the 6.1.0 I believe, I'll see if they reply but not sure at the moment. I would not get the livecode university again, that I do believe seemed to be the cause of many problems, (after delving into my system to look at things). Hope you're getting better Simon, I may call you if that's ok, just for a chin wag.

Thanks Shawnbic. Appreciate your kind comment. have a good week.

Return to “LiveCode University”