image resizes and can't be added to group

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, asayd

chris25

image resizes and can't be added to group

Post by chris25 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:36 pm

I know I have read about this somewhere, I spent 20 minutes looking into every help file and searching with all sorts of strings and I guess this is the most frustrating thing about livecode, the help organisation is infuriating really, I am sorry to say this. Anyway, that off my chest - I have an image which I want added to a group, easy enough, except that I had resized the image and every time I try to make a group with it the image reverts back to original size. I checked the "Lock image size and position" and then tried to re-group, but now I can not select the image. So am now a bit lost on this - sorry to say.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: image resizes and can't be added to group

Post by Simon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi Chris,
Up in the main menu there is an icon in the group section, clicking on it will toggle what the edit tool will select.
Select Grouped or Select Grouped???
Now I know why that icon always had me confused! :shock:
Well at any rate one of the states will select the entire group while the other will select objects within the group.

This can also be done using the project browser.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

chris25

Post by chris25 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:43 am

Sorry Simon I think I have not really explained it correctly. I re-sized the image, selected it as Part of a group ie selected two other objects in order to make all three a group, but the image returned to its default size upon grouping. So, I remembered the lock size and position box in the inspector and ticked this. BUT, now the image can't be selected (obviously) and therefore I can not group it. I typed in the search problem into different areas of help and websites and forum including my own beginners pdf - as expected - Niks, helemaaal niks, Nothing, zilch, frustration. (I know from experience that the search parameters and code used to write these search boxes are very bad indeed, so it's not that they are not there, I know they are, I tested my own pdf with the most obvious words that were the headings of chapters and results came back telling me that nothing existed) .

Anyway, back to the image, I am sorry but I have messed around this morning with it bright and early, I'm beaten! :evil:

Oh, I played around with "select grouped": again another obvious phrase that is easy to predict exactly what it should do (I have one just like it in Photoshop, oh and illustrator oh and pages) - until you click it and then ask yourself - well, anything happened - nope!? Select the objects to be grouped, well now they are grouped. Now what?

Sorry Simon I need another one of those screen casts, maybe I could send you my desktop and then you could see what I am doing wrong or pick up on redundant moves that I make. I am getting the hang of things pretty well, it's just finding help when you really need it is practically impossible from the written material, the written material is brilliant and there is tons of it - but it seems for the greater part only useful and beneficial for reference purposes and only after one has a fundemental grasp on things. The help will be great for me in say two or three months, but not for a beginner.
Last edited by chris25 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:01 am

HI Chris,
Yes, the image does return to it's original size after grouping.
Remove the lock size and then try what I said above. Really it works.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

chris25

Post by chris25 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 am

I have to sort out why livecode is constantly crashing my new apple. I sent an email about this, whenever I close livecode it simply leaves the apple mac hanging without a desktop. So afraid I can't do any more work at the moment until something is sorted there. I notice that it does not clear out the memory when it closes since upon re-start there are tons of recovered files every time.

Return to “LiveCode University”