What's the plan?

This forum is a working group for community contributors to the LiveCode IDE included in the main LiveCode distribution.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

What's the plan?

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:04 am

There are some serious performance issues with menu updates and closing stacks, but I'm reluctant to dive into these to come up with a fix because we have no guidance from RunRev on the process for doing so.

Could someone from RunRev please chime in here with an outline on their IDE plans, and how we can contribute to the IDE?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

monte

Re: What's the plan?

Post by monte » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:13 am

My understanding is this forum was only unlocked by request and that RunRev said they weren't ready for contributors on the IDE.

FWIW I think it could be done with lcVCS
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:14 pm

monte wrote:...RunRev said they weren't ready for contributors on the IDE.
Ah, but the IDE itself is more than ready for contributors.

The time it takes to close a stack or pull down a menu in LiveCode is surprising, if not agonizing. With my obsession with performance I'll be I can help with that, if only I had a mandate to do so.

If they're aware of those issues themselves that would be good to know.

The IDE needs a Community Manager. It's time.
Richard Gaskin

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:37 pm

I haven't noticed much delay, at least in the IDE menus. How long does it take in your stack menus?
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 pm

jacque wrote:I haven't noticed much delay, at least in the IDE menus. How long does it take in your stack menus?
Sometimes about a second and a half. Same for closing a stack. Looking at the message log in my Flight Recording tool shows LOTS of calls that appear to be opportunities for optimization.

But looking at the bigger picture beyond just two issues, it really is time to put some plan together for community involvement in moving the IDE forward.
Richard Gaskin

malte

Post by malte » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:27 am

100% agreed. The IDE is the one place where everybody of us could help cleaning up stuff.

Monte: What is the state of lcVCS? I need to get an OSS lc project into github or something similar, so I am most interested to learn as much as I can.

Cheers,

malte

monte

Post by monte » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:14 am

FourthWorld wrote:it really is time to put some plan together for community involvement in moving the IDE forward.
At the end of the day there's no point in RunRev doing some half hearted effort here. They need to want IDE contributions and be prepared to put some resources towards it as they have done with the engine. It really doesn't appear to be on their radar at the moment and nobody from the IDE team has discussed the use of lcVCS with me.
malte wrote:Monte: What is the state of lcVCS? I need to get an OSS lc project into github or something similar, so I am most interested to learn as much as I can.
I've been working closely with Trevor on it and it seems it's pretty much at a point where people can work in parallel. Lately I've shifted my focus from the core lcVCS engine to GIT/IDE integration based on lcVCS repos. The IDE integration and CLI for lcVCS may end up being commercial but it would be possible for someone to just use the GPL lcVCS plugin to work with a repo that others were using the commercial extras with. While the goals of the project include making FOSS efforts possible the reality is I've put bucket loads to hours into trying to get this thing right and and I need to monetize on that somehow. So I'm leaning towards a model where the core is FOSS and there's pro workflow extras at a cost.

You might like to start with AE as Trevor and I already have that as a substack of clarify and I've never seen any issues with it.

Blame toolTips on the line numbers:

Log/Diff/Revert/Commit + the file status and branch in the top right of the SE

malte

Post by malte » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:15 am

Hey Monte,

it really looks cool. Do you have a site for lcVCS? How can we support it financially?

Best,

Malte

monte

Post by monte » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:57 am

There's no site just yet.. there's a repo here with a readme: http://github.com/montegoulding/lcVCS

I also wrote an article for Heather a while few weeks back http://livecode.com/blog/2013/10/08/ver ... -livecode/

malte

Post by malte » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:50 pm

That is question 1 answered. :-)

Now may I suggest that you put up a PAYPAL button somewhere on your site, so that those are interested in saying "thank you" for all the work you, and all the other contributors have done, can do so? THis is not only geared at you, but also mark wieder, jan schenkel and all the other contributors.

Best,

Malte

monte

Post by monte » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 pm

If you're talking about lcVCS itself then there's a button on the readme on github. Many people do a lot for love and I don't see engine contributions as any different from the folks that answer bucket loads of forum posts each day. At least not the small things I've done. lcVCS has turned into a significant effort though for which I'm glad I'm not counting the hours. It's something I really want personally and will probably continue with even if nobody else wants it. However, for it to be relied upon it needs to be very well maintained and supported and a commercial set of features built on top of lcVCS seems like the only way to do so even though I expect it's unlikely to sell in large numbers.

Return to “IDE Contributors”