Lean standalone option?

This forum is a working group for community contributors to the LiveCode IDE included in the main LiveCode distribution.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Lean standalone option?

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:35 pm

While pondering an anomaly I recently found in standalones (see http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10933 ), I find myself wondering:

Are there any other users besides myself who would like the option of being able to build standalones without the IDE stuffing all of its libraries into them?

I recognize the convenience for most builds, but I rarely use any libraries other than my own, and I don't mind managing my own extenals loading in the few apps where I use externals at all.

That said, I also recognize that such an extreme interest in boot time and file size goes beyond finicky, so I'm happy enough to just mod my own standalone builder and leave it at that.

But if there are others who may find ultra-lean standalones useful, it would be good to know, perhaps motivating me to make a mod tool for others to use. And if it turns out there's more interest than I'd thought, then perhaps this could be a checkbox in the Standalone Builder? Not that I'm suggesting that necessarily, but it would be interesting to learn how many others have a similar interest.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

SparkOut

Re: Lean standalone option?

Post by SparkOut » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:35 pm

I would love a simple way of creating a lean standalone. I've often thought that the minimum file size of a standalone seems unnecessarily large if creating only the very simplest of stacks. This is especially pertinent in "proof of concept" situations.
That said, beyond applauding the idea and gratefully welcoming any creation you may provide, I can't say it's anything very high on my priority list at all, so I'd not expect you to go to any effort or divert from more significant projects.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 pm

SparkOut wrote:I would love a simple way of creating a lean standalone. I've often thought that the minimum file size of a standalone seems unnecessarily large if creating only the very simplest of stacks.
Well, to be clear the size difference is only a few hundred k at most, and the difference in boot time is only a few milliseconds. Like I said, this is a really finicky desire. :)
Richard Gaskin

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:26 am

I thought if you use manual inclusions and uncheck all libraries and addons, the only thing that gets added is the RevCommon backscript.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes, I had thought so too, but apparently that option is more limited in scope, and for example the DB lib search I outlined in my bug report happens even with that option. In my testing, choosing the SB's leanest options still includes revGeneral.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “IDE Contributors”