FYI: python 3

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

FYI: python 3

Post by mwieder » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 am

In case anyone else is tempted...

setting python3 as the default won't even start to compile the source code. If you've got both python 2.x and python 3.x installed, as I have, ensure that python 2.x is the default for python. I ended up spinning my wheels for the longest time with a weird error from config.py about 'endswith' not accepting strings, only bytes and tuples. Reconfiguring so that python 2.7 was the default instead of 3.6 got things working again.

bogs

Re: FYI: python 3

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does the 'engine' consist of? I had assumed initially that it referred to the standalone executable that powers the IDE or is attached to the project your developing, but now I am wondering if that is correct.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Here ya go. In very general terms, the 'engine' is the non-script part of LiveCode. Lotsa lines of C code all put together by gyp and makefiles in a highwire balancing act. Abandon all hope ye who enter...

Code: Select all

https://github.com/livecode/livecode

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks for that, I did search (a lot) before posting, but all I could find were references to what *changed* in the engine, not specifically what the *engine* was :roll:

I sure wish this had popped up as an answer, which would have cleared it up completely ~
Engine flavours

The engine — which loads, saves, manages and runs LiveCode stack files — can be built in several different specialized modes, which are adapted for various specific purposes. They are exposed as separate targets in the build system.

IDE engine (development target)— Used to run the IDE. It contains extra support for things like syntax handling and building LiveCode "standalone" programs.

Installer engine (installer target) — Used to create the LiveCode installer. It contains extra support for things like handling zip archives and comparing binary files.

Server engine (server target) — This is the engine used in a server context, when no graphical user interface is needed. It contains server-specific functions such as CGI support. It also has a much fewer system library dependencies (and requires only non-desktop APIs where possible).

Standalone engine (standalone target) — The engine that is embedded in "standalone apps" created with LiveCode.

Return to “Engine Contributors”