Gyp errors when try to compile

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

Gyp errors when try to compile

Postby BarryK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 am

Hi guys,
A beginner's question here. Well, new to gyp anyway.
I am running a version of Puppy Linux, with a full suite of dev packages.

I downloaded the zip source from github.

Then did this:
Code: Select all
# ./config.sh --platform linux-x86
gyp/gyp --format make-linux --depth . --generator-output build-linux-x86/livecode -DOS=linux -Dtarget_arch=x86
gyp: thirdparty/libopenssl/libopenssl.gyp not found (cwd: /mnt/sda10/downloads/input252/livecode-20150813git)
gyp: thirdparty/libcairo/libcairo.gyp not found (cwd: /mnt/sda10/downloads/input252/livecode-20150813git)
gyp: thirdparty/libcef/libcef.gyp not found (cwd: /mnt/sda10/downloads/input252/livecode-20150813git)
#

I started reading about gyp, but that has not enlightened me. Can someone kindly advise why I am getting these error messages, and how to fix it?

Regards,
Barry
BarryK

Re: Gyp errors when try to compile

Postby LCMark » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 pm

@BarryK: It looks like you haven't fetched the submodules. 'cd' into your git checkout and then do:
git submodule init
git submodule update

This should ensure you have all the dependent submodules and their files.
LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Postby BarryK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply.

The zip file that I downloaded from github, just by clicking the "Download Zip" button, does not have the git stuff in it, and the git commands that you gave me do not work:

# git submodule init
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /mnt/sda10)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

So, I used git to clone the source, then was able to download the submodules.

Thanks for the help!
BarryK

Postby BarryK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:52 am

Good, it compiles. However:

# ./livecode-community
Unable to load library: libgnomevfs-2.so.0
Unable to load library: libgnomevfs-2.so.0
Startup error - /opt/runrev/livecode-20150813/Toolset/home.rev
#

I am running a derivative of Puppy Linux, that does not have some Gnome-specific libs such as that one.

My previous installations of prebuilt LiveCode have no problem running in this Puppy.

Is libgnomevfs-2.so.0 now a requirement, or can I do something to compile without it being required?
BarryK

Postby LCMark » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:23 pm

@BarryK: That looks like there's a glitch in the IDE startup which means its not finding the location of the ide folder properly. (When you build from a git clone, the binaries are in a different place than when it is an installed system). Try doing:
cd <path_to_clone_of_livecode_repo>
export REV_TOOLS_PATH=`pwd`/ide

When you run the livecode-community binary, it should then be able to find the ide.

Btw, did you move the livecode-community binary that was built? If so, try running it from where it is built into. It *should* locate the ide without the env var as it looks relative to the output binary location. If that doesn't work then the env var should.
LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Postby BarryK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Yes, the compile had created a folder 'linux-x86-bin' and I assumed this would have everything needed to run, and copied that folder into /opt/runrev/. Then got that error.

However, back in the original source, where I compiled it, inside folder 'linux-x86-bin', I ran 'livecode-community', and it works.

I ran 'make all' to compile. But what else do I have to do to end up with the layout like in the prebuilt LiveCode?
Is that done manually?
BarryK

Postby LCfraser » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:47 am

The layout for the installed LiveCode is controlled by the installer manifest file (in ide/Installer/package.txt before 7.1 RC1 and in Installer/package.txt after that) and is done as part of the process that builds the installers.

To build the installer(s) yourself, run:

BUILD_PLATFORM=linux-x86 make -f buildbot.mk dist-tools-community

If you're only building for Linux, you'll probably have to edit the builtbot.mk Makefile to remove the '--platform mac --platform win' options from the command line for the dist-tools-community target (otherwise the installer builder will fail when it tries to create the Mac and Windows installers).
LCfraser
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Return to Engine Contributors