Building Livecode under Windows

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

bmont

Building Livecode under Windows

Post by bmont » Wed May 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Well, I have given this my best try and I still can't get Livecode to build successfully on Windows. It seems as though there are a lot of files missing. I am running under Windows 7 64 bit. I have installed VS2005 Pro and installed all the prerequisites ( at least the ones I could find. The hot fix for Visual Studio is no longer available. I was able to find it from another source. Microsoft Speech SDK 4.0 link is broken. I couldn't find it on the web.).

Most of the errors I encountered revolved around the "prebuilts" folder, which by the way, doesn't have anything prebuilt. However, I did find the "build-libs" windows script. This script builds the Openssl, Curl, and ICU(which is required for unicode support) libraries.

Unfortunately, this script fails to run. After some debugging I realized that I first needed to install "perl" and "cygwin". That worked to a point but then came the show stopper. There is no "Revolution.exe" program to run part of the script.

I really would like to get this working.

Any suggestions? I am willing to work with anyone on this issue.

Thanks

Bruce

peter-b

Re: Building Livecode under Windows

Post by peter-b » Thu May 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi bmont,

Building on Windows is indeed an Utter Nightmare at the moment. However, within the next couple of weeks we'll be deploying a new build system that should (hopefully) make it much much easier to build for Windows (as long as you can track down the required obscure and out-of-date Microsoft SDKs).

In the short term, you can obtain the Windows prebuilt libraries by the following procedure:
  1. Install Cygwin
  2. Open a Cygwin terminal window
  3. Navigate to the "prebuilts" directory
  4. Run: <code>./fetch-libraries.sh</code>
LiveCode Open Source Team — @PeterTBBrett — peter.brett@livecode.com

Lagi Pittas
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Lagi Pittas » Tue May 31, 2016 6:50 pm

HI

Has anything been done about the build problem? Having github source is moot if we can't reliably compile without wasting hours.

Also when you say to track down the windows SDKs - you must have them, so why not allow us to download them even if it means anonymously uploading to utorrent or archive.org - or we just have to wait for a build system based on compiler technology we can all have access to.

I really want to have a "play" with the engine but not if after 3 or 4 hours I get nowhere.

I have a Mac so is there a page that shows how we can at least compile on the mac while waiting for the new build system for windows?

Thanks

Lagi

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:48 am

@Lagi: Since that post a lot of work has been done on the build system for LiveCode. You can find details in the github repository, in particular the README file and INSTALL-* files: https://github.com/livecode/livecode/bl ... /README.md.

Lagi Pittas

Post by Lagi Pittas » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks Mark

Return to “Engine Contributors”