A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. (and I'll be honest, I didn't even realize that result was a global...)
I ran into one issue with a stack that would not function correctly when I moved from 6.7 to 7, and for that app I just keep using the older version. Everything new I've made in 7. If anything comes along that really requires I bring the old app into 7, I will address it. Otherwise, I'm content having multiple incarnations of Livecode on my hard drive.
I'm also willing to wager that some bright soul will develop a plugin to help search through scripts and find lines of code potentially affected by changes that are made to the syntax.
But since there hasn't really been any voice of dissent, I figured I would tell everyone a little story of something that is happening right now.
For the last 15 years, the company I work for has been using CFMC, which is scripting language and engine that manages CATI (computer assisted telephone interviewing) operations in our call center. It's an extremely expensive system that we have to subscribe to. At any time, there may be as many as 5 or 6 versions that are active, and every once in a while, a version gets put out to pasture.
Last September this happened, and the new version we needed to upgrade to required shelling out money for a new linux server. (Which made me happy, but not the people who had to pay for it).
Every fall we have a large project for a client who provides the scripted program to us (i.e. luckily it wasn't I who had to debug this beast). This project has been going for 9 years without incident with the same program (a few tweaks here and there but still mostly the same). But in September, the version of CFMC that we upgraded to completely broke the program. The programmers spent weeks on the phone with support working on bugs many of which are still not fixed. We spend a lot of time looking through data with fingers crossed that something horrible isn't happening behind the scenes. On my company's side of things, I've put in an excess of three times the usual number of hours I normal would have for this job. Production is down across the board. The main result is, our client is dumping CFMC for another language, and now so are we.
They had been considering the change for a while, but now they are determined. So who's to say there aren't developers who are on the fence about Livecode, and these changes could push them over.
On the other side... the result of this story for me is that I'm trying to see if I can build my own CATI system in Livecode
EDIT: was informed that several other companies that are working on this project are also dropping CFMC as their platform. So, one bad program and CFMC has lost 4 clients.