Request for a modification

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

shaosean

Request for a modification

Post by shaosean » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 am

For those people that seem to have the ability to get the code to compile properly, could someone make a small change for me and send me a compiled IDE engine with the update?

In the osxstack.cpp file, the MCStack::realize function, need the following line:

Code: Select all

wattributes |= kWindowCompositingAttribute;
changed to:

wattributes |= kWindowCompositingAttribute| kWindowStandardHandlerAttribute;

shaosean

Re: Request for a modification

Post by shaosean » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:34 am

Mark, thanks for the custom build, but it looks like there are some other things that will need to be adjusted to support that flag.. I'm kind of curious if there would happen to be the code from 2.8 kicking around anywhere, as that is the last version where InstallStandardEventHandlers worked and it makes my life so much easier for externals..

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:29 pm

@shaosean: Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do? (Perhaps even some code which worked at 2.8, but not after). Looking back, it seems that in 2.8.1 we integrated revBrowser and that did require that we install more Carbon event handlers and hooks so that the window layering would work better - I suspect the engine is competing with the handlers you are wanting to install.

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:48 pm

This was originally posted here
If you’re using Mac OS X windows in your application, you should install the standard window event handler. Call InstallStandardEventHandler() and supply a target, which will be a window for a window event handler.

WindowRef window; 
OSStatus error;

error = InstallStandardEventHandler(GetWindowEventTarget(window));
The above code, wrapped in an external, will cause the GUI of the window (stack) to be unresponsive so you will need to end up doing tons of work that you should get for free from the system, this changed between Rev 2.8 and 3.0

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm

@shaosean: I had a look at this - the problem appears to be that installing the standard window event handler is causing mouse messages to not be received by the window (well, the HIView that holds the stack within the window). I'm not sure what's causing this at present - I think it is because the Stack HIView event handler is not doing something that the standard window handler needs it to do, but I don't know what that could be yet...

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Yeah, I'm looking in to it as well.. I have found a few suggestions, but considering everyone has moved on from Carbon for at least a decade, finding info is getting harder and harder, as well as the lack of being able to actually compile the engine myself.. I will keep at it though, as this will be a boon to anyone that wants to write externals dealing with interface components..

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:13 pm

@shaosean: What problems are you having compiling the engine? I notice in your tag line that you have 10.6.8 which is the same as I run on my laptop... This means you should be able to install Xcode 3.2.6 which is the version we use to build the Mac desktop engines, and it should build with that straight out of a git clone.

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:42 am

Actually, I'm on Mavericks now and run Xcode 5.something.or.other.. When I stopped using Rev I was on 10.6, but time and technology move forward ;-)

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:42 am

A big thanks goes out to my lovely compiler, but without the ability to actually do the changes and debugging here, I'm over it..

monte
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by monte » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 pm

I take it then that Trevor's instructions don't work for Xcode 5:
http://trevordevore.clarify-it.com/d/j9fxqj
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Return to “Engine Contributors”