Updating the Android LiveCode engine in Commercial LiveCode

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

SamanthaLC

Updating the Android LiveCode engine in Commercial LiveCode

Post by SamanthaLC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 am

Hello engine contributors!

I am trying to build a new Android Engine and use it in my application. I would like to be able to build just the engine and then use it with my existing Commercial LiveCode installation on OSX.

Is it possible to build the community open source Android engine, and then copy this into an existing Commercial LiveCode install, so that when I build my application with the Commercial LiveCode release it uses the new engine with the rest of the usual packaging?

Am I correct in assuming that just the librevandroid.so is needed to accomplish this? If so, how can I embed a new librevandroid.so into an existing Commercial LiveCode install?

Last but not least, is there a way using the OSX build scripts to build just this engine component?

Thanks!

monte
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Updating the Android LiveCode engine in Commercial LiveC

Post by monte » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:30 am

No, you can't do that. RunRev are going to release an enterprise edition at some point that will allow you to do what you want but for now you need to work with RunRev to get your changes into the release version so they are in commercial. So basically send a pull request with your changes.
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

SamanthaLC

Post by SamanthaLC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:59 am

Ok. Thank you monte!

I will look into the future Enterprise version. For added clarification the Open Source Edition is very useful for troubleshooting and test builds. The standard Commercial Edition builds are for publishing.

Perhaps my first pull request for Github will be to make the commented out MCLog statements an optional compile time with a -DVERBOSE_DEBUG option. Some of these logs are quite useful for troubleshooting! :)

Thank you again,
Samantha

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:55 am

Well since you mention an enterprise edition. I'm curious on what the enterprise edition will offer that the commercial version won't. As a commercial backer I thought we were getting all the bells and whistles.

monte

Post by monte » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:46 am

Sounds like a good idea @SamanthaLC

@shawnblc The enterprise edition will allow you to compile a custom commercial engine (including password protected stacks). I believe there's priority support and a few other goodies included along with LC embedded. I would say 99.99% of customers won't need it but for those that do it will be a very important piece of the puzzle. My understanding is it will be something like 10x the price of commercial however I only know fairly vague details.
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

shawnblc

Post by shawnblc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:49 pm

monte wrote:Sounds like a good idea @SamanthaLC

@shawnblc The enterprise edition will allow you to compile a custom commercial engine (including password protected stacks). I believe there's priority support and a few other goodies included along with LC embedded. I would say 99.99% of customers won't need it but for those that do it will be a very important piece of the puzzle. My understanding is it will be something like 10x the price of commercial however I only know fairly vague details.
Thanks for the explanation monte. I understand now.

Return to “Engine Contributors”