Eclipse build environment for standalone Android engine

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

SamanthaLC

Eclipse build environment for standalone Android engine

Post by SamanthaLC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:56 am

Hello LiveCode Engine Coders,

I am trying to build the standalone Android engine in Eclipse. I have installed the Android Development Toolkit for Eclipse along with configuring the proper paths for the Android SDK and the NDK for native development.

I import the livecode sources into my workspace, and see the "mblandroid" engine target, however, I seem to encounter various build / dependencies issues which I cannot resolve. I am using Eclipse Kepler 20130919.

Is building the standalone Android engine supported within the Eclipse development environment?

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

monte
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Eclipse build environment for standalone Android engine

Post by monte » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 am

There's a build script for android in the tools directory
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

SteveTX

Post by SteveTX » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:57 pm

I can confirm I am having the same problem. Build script in tools directory not relevant to issue.

monte

Post by monte » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Well it's relevant if you want to build the engine...
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

SteveTX

Post by SteveTX » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 am

SamanthaLC, the issue I am seeing is particular to the android SDK but shows up in eclipse. I am getting an error of:

Code: Select all

Warning: Ignoring library 'com.motorola.android.iextdispservice', missing property value
I thought this might be because I was missing intel stuff from my SDK or it wasn't updated. I completed all SDK libs but the error persists. Is this the same error you get?

The only things in my android builder script that didn't get built right were mysql things, and the only things that are throwing those errors are related to android billing, wonder if the issues are related.

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:03 am

I don't think anyone in the office has tried to get things building via Eclipse, although there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible... It would be well worth looking at tools/build-android.osx to see what steps are currently taken... In particular, the MarketBillingService interface class needs to be generated from the aidl file - it is likely Eclipse has a way of doing this, but I suspect you'll have to add the dependency to the project somehow.

SamanthaLC

Post by SamanthaLC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:28 pm

runrevmark wrote:I don't think anyone in the office has tried to get things building via Eclipse, although there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible... It would be well worth looking at tools/build-android.osx to see what steps are currently taken... In particular, the MarketBillingService interface class needs to be generated from the aidl file - it is likely Eclipse has a way of doing this, but I suspect you'll have to add the dependency to the project somehow.
Thank you Mark! This is the conclusion I reached after poking at the build in Eclipse a little longer. Seems like it should be possible without too much effort, but some key parts are missing.

The command line builds will do, and if Eclipse support is worked out in the future that is even better. Thank goodness most of my development happens in LiveCode and not Eclipse :)

SamanthaLC

Post by SamanthaLC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:44 pm

SteveTX wrote:SamanthaLC, the issue I am seeing is particular to the android SDK but shows up in eclipse. I am getting an error of:

Code: Select all

Warning: Ignoring library 'com.motorola.android.iextdispservice', missing property value
I thought this might be because I was missing intel stuff from my SDK or it wasn't updated. I completed all SDK libs but the error persists. Is this the same error you get?

Hello SteveTX, I was having different errors with the build script but they are fixed now. It took me a while to get everything together for a successful build. Perhaps my first contribution will be a blog post walking through Live Code building for iOS and Android on OSX. There is not a lot of information on building LiveCode on the Internet. Perhaps because it is complicated and most Live Code users don't need to do anything like this :)

Good luck! I wish I was more help.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 am

SamanthaLC- I think that blog writeup would be a great idea.
SteveTX: that's a warning, not strictly an error. I don't know if you're getting other errors, but I did find that library if you're targetting Motorola devices:

http://www.java2s.com/Code/Jar/a/Downlo ... i10jar.htm

Return to “Engine Contributors”