new graphics and affine transformations

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

monte
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

new graphics and affine transformations

Post by monte » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 am

Howdy

I'm wondering if you can tell me if individual object affine transformation will be exposed as a property of all objects? Even if it's just scale and rotation it would be quite helpful but skew could have some uses...

I have project where I'd ideally be able to set the scale of a group independently of the stack to get the group to fill a certain space on screen irrespective of the device scale. Scaling the group would I think be much more efficient than scaling the content.

Cheers

Monte
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: new graphics and affine transformations

Post by LCMark » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 am

@monte:
This would indeed be nice, but realistically we are quite a way away from being able to apply 'transform' properties to objects - at the moment, the transform that is applied to the stack for resolution independence is applied before any of the objects touch it (the mapping handles on a stack-wide basis essentially). It's something that requires a bit more thought as there are a few things in the current semantics which work against us - coords are all relative to card, coords are all 16-bit ints, objects don't have an intrinsic size (the size is defined by the rect).
I have project where I'd ideally be able to set the scale of a group independently of the stack to get the group to fill a certain space on screen irrespective of the device scale. Scaling the group would I think be much more efficient than scaling the content.
Can you elaborate more on the situation?

We have got plans to add a stack property to allow you to specify a 'fullscreenScaleMode'. Essentially, with this set, the stack's size wouldn't change but the stack would be scaled to fill the screen in one of a few modes. So you design at the size you want, and then the engine will transparently scale it up to fill the screen.

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Well the project has a toolbar like UI at the bottom and a main content area that needs the content to be proportionally scaled to fit the area. So its scale would be different to the toolbar scale.
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Wha Hoo!
fullscreenScaleMode :)
That will make you very popular.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Return to “Engine Contributors”