LiveCode in C#

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

SirWobbyTheFirst
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

LiveCode in C#

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, step right up and witness another Pitkin Enterprises Patented Lunatic Moment™

I would like a little personal project to work on when I'm not working on my normal stuff and thus I've got this amazing idea to translate the engine to run on C# (This is also to flex my C# pecks) and thus I have the question, where would one start with doing such a trait, let it not be said that this is mainly to give myself something to do on those days when I don't quite want to work on my normal LC projects but want to do some programming in general.

Chances are it won't be remotely compatible with existing LiveCode stuff but it could be a cool little project nonetheless, also how would one go about setting up something like GitHub with Visual Studio so I can just be like "Yo brah, you want some of that sweet C# source code, well POW!!! Right in the kisser" and share my source code with others who might like to have a look.

Kind regards, Michy Mookins.

PS. No I do not have any medication for this.

monte

Re: LiveCode in C#

Post by monte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:51 am

@mickpitkin92 Might I suggest a more productive route in joining forces with @Janschenkel to get C# externals working. That way you can extend the engine functionality rather than duplicating the core.
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 am

Monte, this is purely a personal project, something I'd like to work on when I'm bored. Its not meant to be a public project, but I'd be willing to share the code if someone asked.

monte

Post by monte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 am

OK, have fun
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Janschenkel

Post by Janschenkel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:17 am

There are a couple of interesting links over at hypercard.org if you want to go down this route.
But it's going to be a big project and a lot of work before you'll have a complete parser and implementation of the more powerful concepts of xTalk.

Have fun!

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Hey Jan, thanks for the info, do you have a link to the forum post or a blog of your progress, this is the first I've heard about your go at bringing .NET externals to LiveCode.
There are a couple of interesting links over at hypercard.org if you want to go down this route.
But it's going to be a big project and a lot of work before you'll have a complete parser and implementation of the more powerful concepts of xTalk.
Oh that is what is going to be the fun bit, I think I'll setup a blog or something to document my progress.

Janschenkel

Post by Janschenkel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm

I've been researching the CLR Hosting API and its Mono equivalent, but haven't gone so far as to write a complete bridge external yet. And while I did write such an external bridge for the Java Virtual Machine (see my github repo), I've put it on hold until the direction is clear of the Extensions/Modules API.

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

Return to “Engine Contributors”