Strange IDE bug

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

ricochet1k

Strange IDE bug

Post by ricochet1k » Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 am

Ever since I found out about gRevDevelopment, I've been playing with various things with it on to see what happens. I noticed that the Project Browser is really slow when scrolling, so I decided to try to figure out why by writing a simple script that looks for all the disclosure buttons and expands them. The bug I found almost immediately doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

First of all, debugging these in general hits an infinite loop "freeze" in a few places due to trace messages throwing exceptions. I found a way to bail these out early.

The error is on line 386 of stack "revProjectInformationLibrary", I don't remember what the error message is, but basically the selectGroupedControls doesn't exist for this "group". So I added a line of code above that records the long name at the time it fills tType, and then made it dump that and the current long name of the control in the catch section of a try block I wrapped around the offending line, along with the caught error.

Code: Select all

group "line26" of group "object list" of card "treeView" of stack "/home/matt/code/livecode/ide/Toolset/revProjectBrowser.livecode"
image "warning.png" of group "line26" of group "object list" of card "treeView" of stack "/home/matt/code/livecode/ide/Toolset/revProjectBrowser.livecode"

I am at a complete loss to explain why the referenced control would change. Any ideas?

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Strange IDE bug

Post by Mark » Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi,

To get help with your question, you'll have to post the error that you don't remember along with the code that causes the error.

All I can tell you for now is that the error you pasted in your question corresponds to "object does not have this property".

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Strange IDE bug

Post by LCMark » Tue May 21, 2013 11:36 am

@ricochet1k: I'll get Elanor to take a look at this when she's back from holiday - the project browser was her baby so will hopefully be able to shed some light :)

Return to “Engine Contributors”