The Evil Empire

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: The Evil Empire

Post by LCMark » Thu May 02, 2013 10:13 am

@mwieder: A couple of things - you shouldn't need to put the QT stuff anywhere other than its default install location - the engine project is configured to take the headers and libs from there; also there shouldn't be any need for the mysql client lib since that's built as part of the libmysql project in the solution - I wonder if there is a dependency issue there (I noted above about you mentioning some projects have a dependence on .NET components - which they shouldn't).

Anyway, I'm hoping to have time to delve into the windows project files today to see what's causing all the issues. After installing the Speech SDK and QT SDK, the engine solution should build fine (apart from revbrowser if you have express).

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mwieder » Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 pm

@runrevmark- the .NET thing may have been a red herring. I'm not sure, and I don't think I want to go back over that route to see. Here's what happened:

I installed Visual C++ Express 2010.
You don't get to select what you want installed - it just installs lots of junk. I figured I'd delete the extraneous stuff later on.
I uninstalled the .NET 4 targetting component because I don't want to target .NET. (*bad idea*)
I tried to compile the engine source and found first off that the project needed to be converted from a previous version.
The conversion failed with .NET errors.
This may be because of .NET dependencies in the projects or (more likeley) because the project converter itself needs the .NEt 4 targetting component.

I then realized that VS 2010 wasn't what was needed, so I uninstalled. This is a multi-step process because the uninstaller doesn't do everything for you.
After uninstalling all that I installed VC++ Express 2005 and embarked on the journey described above.

(with a side trip of finding that the project files now were mangled, so I wiped them out and git cloned the repository again)

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu May 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Yes - I verified that the step of copying the QuickTime files is unnecessary, and I'll update the process post with that information.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm

...and I still get the resource errors on the .ico files, of course, because resource editing is not part of VC++. It would probably be a good idea to update the icon files in the build respository.

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 am

OK, so I can't seem to install the hot fix... This is the x86 version of Visual C++ so I tried both that and the x64 version because the system is x64. Neither install (Windows 7).

I'll try restarting then installing just for the heck of it.

But anyway, I've tried building and I'm getting an error RC2176: old DIB in development.ico; pass it through SDKPAINT

@mwieder I assume that's the error you were getting. Any way to work around this or are you still waiting for a fix?
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:36 am

Yes, that's the error I was getting. You can either edit the bitmap resources yourself or wait for the team to do it. There's no resource editor built into Visual Studio Express. I'm not sure about the full Visual Studio because I couldn't find my original install disk three months ago and I haven't been sufficiently motivated to look again.

And I don't remember running into the hotfix issue. What version of VS did you install?

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 am

The one linked on the readme Visual C++ Express 2005.

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:01 am

Deleting the references to the icons in development.rc seemed to get me past that error. Now I get:
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'winmm.lib'

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:08 am

winmm.lib is part of the Windows SDK. It sounds like you're not trying to link with it. Is it listed in the libraries config settings?

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:12 am

Hmm... definitely installed the sdk... it took ages. I'm going to try on XP because VC keeps saying there's compatibility issues with Win7.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:20 am

OK - I never tried this on Win7.

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:43 am

So... installed it all on XP now and it still can't find the windows sdk....

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:12 am

OK, getting much closer. After forcing VC to see the win sdk via Options > Projects and Solutions > VC++ Directories then adding a line for include and lib files it's at least compiling most of the way. I removed the lines about the icons to get past that error. Now I'm stuck on:

Code: Select all

Compiling...
ide.cpp
c:\livecode\engine\src\hashedstrings.cpp(1) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'program'
c:\livecode\engine\src\hashedstrings.cpp(1) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
c:\livecode\engine\src\hashedstrings.cpp(1) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'or'
c:\livecode\engine\src\hashedstrings.cpp(1) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
c:\livecode\engine\src\hashedstrings.cpp(1) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'batch'
c:\livecode\engine\src\hashedstrings.cpp(1) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'file'
c:\livecode\engine\src\hashedstrings.cpp(1) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(408) : error C2065: 'TYPE_NONE' : undeclared identifier
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(408) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(410) : error C2448: 'f_settings' : function-style initializer appears to be a function definition
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(537) : error C2065: 'SCRIPT_KEYWORD_COUNT' : undeclared identifier
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(555) : error C2065: 's_script_keywords' : undeclared identifier
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(907) : error C2065: 'SCRIPT_KEYWORD_LARGEST' : undeclared identifier
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(907) : error C2133: 't_keyword' : unknown size
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(910) : error C2065: 'SCRIPT_KEYWORD_SALT' : undeclared identifier
c:\livecode\engine\src\ide.cpp(932) : error C3861: 'script_keyword_hash': identifier not found
Build log was saved at "file://C:\livecode\_cache\windows\kernel-development\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
kernel-development - 19 error(s), 0 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: engine-community, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Linking...
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\_build\windows\debug\kernel-development.lib'
The content of hashedstrings.cpp appers to be:

Code: Select all

operable program or batch file.
So no wonder that doesn't compile.

Has anyone outside of RunRev got this working?

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:24 am

Ah... scratch that last post. was trying to build kernel-delvelopment rather than livecode-community

Now how do I get it to run after the build...

monte

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:31 pm

So... after working things out I now have two systems that can build as long as the icon references are removed from the resources file. I found this:
http://www.axialis.com/docs/iw/How_to_u ... roject.htm

But if that's the problem then I don't know how the RunRev guys are building with those icons...

Return to “Engine Contributors”