Xcode 3.2.6

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

monte
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Xcode 3.2.6

Post by monte » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:56 am

Given the desktop engine requires Xcode 3.2.6 for 10.4 or PowerPC support or something does anyone know if it's possible to get it running on Lion or ML. Preferably ML... Downloading it now to an old SL macbook but it's old and slow... and my daughter will be mad if I steal her macbook... and it's old... and slow... did I say it's old and slow?
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

mwieder

Re: Xcode 3.2.6

Post by mwieder » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 am

I thought OSX 10.4 support was dropped (and PPC, too, obviously).
Anyway, how about installing Snow Leopard and XCode into a VirtualBox VM?

monte

Post by monte » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:05 am

I've found some forums where people seem to be using it fine so I'll give it a go and see what happens...

markw

Post by markw » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 am

Presumably most of us don't wan't to build for PPC. Surely rather than trying to run ancient creaking versions of Xcode we should just be using the latest Mac OS SDK and setting the build target to 10.4 for compatibility? I was a little miffed to see all the projects setup for a no-longer supported by Apple Base SDK, didn't have time to go through and change it all and try a build yet. I'm waiting for the build instructions and hoping there's a command line option???

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Unfortunately Apple do not make it easy to build an application that supports the wide range of Mac platform versions we do.

We haven't yet pulled the plug on 10.4 support (we've just said we intend to in a near term version - the Cocoa transition will probably force this, there's been no code reason to yet) nor PPC (which is supported up to 10.5 IIRC). Due to this, we felt it best (in the first instance) to present the code and projects that enabled individuals to build engines will the same level of platform support that we do.

It isn't possible to use the latest version of Xcode to build apps that run on 10.4 nor PPC thus to still support these it is essential to use an older version of Xcode. When we switch to using gcc 4.2 (in the next main dev cycle) this should hopefully bring up the version of Xcode we can use to a more recent version.

In theory, you don't need to change very much to use a different compiler / sdk - the settings for all the engine projects are contained in xcconfig files in the 'rules' folder. However, upgrading to newer versions of gcc and Mac SDKs do cause a couple of issues - we'll sort these and push out an update in due course.

monte

Post by monte » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 pm

It would be good if in the short term there was a separate project we could use... I tried messing with it in Xcode 4.6.1 but started getting errors from an openssl function and most of block.cpp if I remember right so I gave up and decided to download 3.2.6 to see if I can get it to run on ML. I see your build script in tools seems to do it all on the same system so it must be possible.

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Yes - there are a few niggling issues when compiling against > 10.4 and gcc 4.2 - mainly to do with newer versions of the openssl libraries present in 10.5 and above.

3.2.6 will happily run on newer Mac versions - installing it is the issue - we just copy it across from a Snow Leopard machine onto newer ones.

n9yty

Post by n9yty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:26 pm

I found this link, I hope it is helpful. I haven't tried yet.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5333 ... to-xcode-4

markw

Post by markw » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:36 pm

This sounds like a potentially significant barrier to contributors getting started (and thus bothering at all) at the moment. Do you have the necessary changes to build against a more modern system that you could push to a branch?

If not then there might be a useful "contribution" there, even if it's not going to get merged into master in the near term?

Obviously if we build against newer platforms we can't test the older ones aren't broken by our commits but most of use presumably don't have the facility to do that anyway.

Should LiveCode build with LLVM?

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 pm

We're starting an abbreviated 6.0.1 maintenance cycle today to clean up a few issues from the first 6.0 community build. I'm hoping this branch will start to appear today - the compiling with newer versions of Xcode is on the list to include.

We could potentially use gcc-llvm-4.2 rather than just gcc-4.2 - this is what the iOS compilers use. I'm not sure how far back (OS X-wise) code compiled using clang compilers will run and we'll need to experiment. Also, switching to clang will generate a fair few 'errors' that we'll need to fix which will take a fair bit of time.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:50 pm

markw- (sheesh - this is getting confusing with all us mark w's around) - keep in mind that this just the as-is OSS release - it'll get better and easier to manage as time goes on.

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 pm

I've just pushed a new branch into the repos - 'release-6.0.1'

This contains some changes to make the Mac project build under newer SDKs. I've tested this with 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6 sdks and it seems to work.

To change the sdk just edit 'rules/Global.xcconfig' and change the SDKROOT var appropriately.

[ Remember to pull then checkout the 'release-6.0.1' branch on each of the three submodules too ]

monte

Post by monte » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:56 pm

ok... rebased resolveImage onto it...

monte

Post by monte » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 am

getting dependency errors on GCC 4.2 on core an external

monte

Post by monte » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 am

actually dependency errors popping up all over the place... revbrowser one won't seem to listen to reason... plus osxans.mm has a 5 errors. Xcode 4.6.1 SDK 10.7

Return to “Engine Contributors”