Is there a way to attach stack to posting?

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

JonathanLynch

Is there a way to attach stack to posting?

Post by JonathanLynch » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:08 pm

It would be nice to be able to attach stacks to postings in the forums. It would make sharing and discussing stacks very convenient.

Is this possible?
The key to a happy life is to practice love for all things.

marielle
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by marielle » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi Jonathan,

For sharing, you can always send that to me by email. I will then happily add it to the open stacks gallery. Note I can also very easily create in the stack gallery an entry for with an http link to a stack posted on revonline, without revealing anything about your revonline identity. :twisted: have no chance!

Agreed, there are always circumstances where you appreciate to be able to attach a file or two... but I am afraid, it will be easy to justify not agreeing on this request as we can put our stuff on revonline and let others know about it :(.

revdan

File Attachments Would Be Nice

Post by revdan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:58 pm

In the user mailing list, attachments are not allowed. That has occasionally made it harder for someone to get help. But in an email list, I think that's an appropriate decision.

In the forums, I think we should be allowed to attach files to posts. Some upward limit on size is a good idea but Rev stacks don't tend to be that large.

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:41 pm

I am against the inclusion of stacks in the forum.

One concern is security. Also, if the stack is hosted on rr's server, they are prolly liable, and that's something no one wants.

Also it's very simple to link to a file elsewhere, by using the url tag, so if people want to share their stacks, they can host it on some web host. There are free short term file storage services, one can use those if one lacks any other means.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

pevensen

How about RevOnline UserSpaces

Post by pevensen » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:18 pm

What would be nifty is if you could upload a stack to your space on RevOnline and then get a URL to the stack. You could then put that URL in a posting on the forum.
Peter Evensen
[url]http://www.PetersRoadtoHealth.com[/url]

marielle

Re: How about RevOnline UserSpaces

Post by marielle » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:43 pm

pevensen wrote:What would be nifty is if you could upload a stack to your space on RevOnline and then get a URL to the stack. You could then put that URL in a posting on the forum.
It is possible (I do it in the open stack gallery, Eric Chatonet does it in his Rev Online Picker). But in both cases, some care is taken for the real url not to be shown to the end user.

An issue is that the url reveals the structure of their revonline directory as well as your username and some users may be unhappy about that. Simply put, if you know how to write the url for your own stack, you know how to link to another user's stack seen in the repository without the author consent. 99% of the time, this won't be a problem... but one day, for one user, in one specific context, it may be.

I have an idea of how it can be solved. I will contact runrev privately to check that the solution I have in mind is ok for them (well, if it is not, they won't appreciate to have me explain it here).

Return to “Feature Requests”