True graphics physics and game engine

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

MadDogDean
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

True graphics physics and game engine

Post by MadDogDean » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:56 am

Hello all,

Re-working some of my thoughts on development direction to take. The ideas and plans to be developed are graphic heavy games utilizing complex sprite movement/animation and physics.

In the MS world, Xamarin allows cross-platform style development using C#, but their UI is very limited to supporting advanced graphics - they can't. Instead of going all in on developing separate workflows for iOS/Android/macOS/Win/Linux, etc, etc, what is the chance someone is able to build a graphic engine for LC?

A recent discussion with Heather indicated that while possible, it is not something with any priority on the LC roadmap, however if someone else could develop it as an Extension... could be a possibility.

Is there anyone out there that is able to take this on, perhaps do a Kickstarter/pledge system as LC has done for past projects.

Takers??

Cheers

Lagi Pittas

Re: True graphics physics and game engine

Post by Lagi Pittas » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi,

Considering the physics engine was part of the 2013 kickstarter campaign it looks like it was put on the backburner.

But here

https://livecode.com/livecode-9-0-gm/

10 Months ago Ali Lloyd in the comments says they have a working version using Chipmunk

https://chipmunk-physics.net/aboutChipmunk.php

Any News Heather, Ali, Kevin .. Mark??.

Regards Lagi

MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks for that Lagi,

Actually it was tingling in the back of my brain and I thought I remembered something like this, but then attributed it to the animationEngine released as an Extension for v6

I think though, the chipmunk got hit crossing the road, going to chipmunk-physics.net brings up a timeout error :shock:

Cheers

Lagi Pittas

Post by Lagi Pittas » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Nope,

Chipmunk was working when I posted and it's still working here

Lagi

Return to “Feature Requests”