SCORM

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

mytamhuyet

SCORM

Post by mytamhuyet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 am

Has anyone been able to develop a stack that will communicate quiz scores to a SCORM-compliant LMS? Or better...is there any built-in functionality that is planned? I'd love to be able to dump Toolbook and use RunRev instead.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: SCORM

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:06 am

I'd love to be able to dump Toolbook and use RunRev instead.
I did in 2001 and have never looked back.

https://scorm.com/

"The biggest benefit of SCORM is interoperability. If you create content,
your client will need to upload that content into their LMS. "

Wow! The home of thought-stopping acronyms.

"SCORM stands for “Sharable Content Object Reference Model”."

"learning management system (LMS)"

"How does SCORM relate to AICC, xAPI and cmi5?"

How on earth did I survive 30 years as an EFL teacher without knowing all "that"?

"AICC, a standard from the aviation industry" . . . well, Yeah!

"Achieving basic SCORM conformance for your content can often be accomplished by a talented software developer in a reasonable time frame. " [colourising is mine]

Aah, and after the acronyms we have the highly subjective words that tend to give a false impression.

Let's see what we can get from the "horse's mouth":
-
Screenshot 2019-03-14 at 9.05.58.png

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Welcome to the LiveCode forums, mytamhuyet.

I'm very familiar with SCORM, and have written courseware compliant with both that spec and AICC, but as you can surmise from my mention of AICC that was a while back, and does not address SCORM's changes since.

I'm not aware of any existing components to support SCORM assessment integration with an LMS, but to be thorough I just wrote LC Ltd this morning to see if they know if any I might have missed.

I could write this for you, but I wonder if writing this for everyone would be a better option. If there's enough interest we could set up a crowd-funding to deliver a library to support this.

If your courseware under proprietary license, GPL, MIT, or something else?

How much of Toolbook's API are you using? I can dig up their API to get a sense of scope once I know what parts you need.

I guess the other question is: When do you need this? As a bespoke solution I could work it into my schedule to deliver very quickly, but if we go crowd-funded the setup for that would push delivery out by several weeks.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm

"Hi Richmond,

Thank you for reaching out. We have two options for adding SCORM support to your app: Rustici Engine and SCORM Cloud. Below is some high-level information on both. Typically, it is best to schedule some time to discuss your specific goals and requirements… this way I can help guide you towards the solution that will be the best fit. Do you have availability for a call tomorrow or next week to discuss further?

Rustici Engine overview:

Rustici Engine is a tightly integrated eLearning content player that provides your application with support for SCORM 1.2, 2004 (2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions), AICC, xAPI, and cmi5 all through a single integration that takes 4 to 8 weeks to complete (we assist your team with the integration). Rustici Engine also provides your application with an integrated, xAPI conformant Learning Record Store LRS). Rustici Engine is integrated with your application via a RESTful web service API and is responsible for handling the import and launch of all standards-based eLearning content, as well as tracking the learner's progress through the eLearning content. Data collected by Rustici Engine is normalized and then shared automatically with your application for reporting purposes.

We offer a managed hosted deployment for Rustici Engine that starts at $30,000 per year (covers hosting, application management and the first 30,000 users)

We also offer a self-hosted deployment for Rustici Engine that has a $30,000 one-time, initial fee, and an annual license fee based on $0.20 per user with a minimum annual commitment of $10,000.

SCORM Cloud overview:

SCORM Cloud is a SaaS version of our Rustici Engine integrated content player. We offer an API that allows you to import, launch and track standards-based eLearning content within your application (all of the standards and specifications listed above also apply with SCORM Cloud). SCORM Cloud also provides your application with an xAPI conformant Learning Record Store (LRS). SCORM Cloud is free to build an integration with (you can do this with a free trial account that never expires). Full pricing information, for when you're ready to deploy your solution to learners, can be found here. SCORM Cloud pricing is based on the number of new registrations created each month. A registration is created when an end-user launches a SCORM package for the first time. I recommend reviewing our Pricing FAQ, and leveraging the Pricing Calculator on the top right corner of the Pricing page. And I'm always happy to answer questions.

Please let me know about your availability for a call. I'm located in Nashville, TN (same timezone as Chicago).

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Best,
Andy"

"$30,000 per year", "a $30,000 one-time, initial fee, and an annual license fee based on $0.20 per user with a minimum annual commitment of $10,000."

Well, that's in a bigger league than I am: and the first question I would ask, regardless of how much money I had at my finger tips, would be, "Is that sort of outlay justified?" and . . . err . . . for what?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Richmond, who is "Andy" and what is that correspondence about?

As for value, if you're a large company facing even average turnover, where the cost of replacing a middle manager averages about $35k, investing in effective knowledge transfer solutions can pay for themselves in the first year.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 pm

I haven't a clue who "Andy" is, and I tend to jalouse at abbreviated names, especially in official
communications.

That is the reply I got this evening from the form I filled in that is visible in my earlier posting.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 am

I have just taken a "walk on the wild side", not having done anything with
Toolbook since 2000 (version 6):

http://tb.sumtotalsystems.com/

Even before I go further there are one thing that make me uneasy about Toolbook 11.5:

1. It (having changed hands quite a few times) is now under the "benevolent"
umbrella of Microsoft.

What I do understand is that between Toolbook 6 and 11.5 (and I have no
way of knowing when this change took place), Toolbook has changed from
a fairly reasonable programming environment into a "Power Point on Steroids"
sort of thing for Business presentations and the sort of teachers who want
ease of use rather than freedom to create.

In 1999 I was working at the UAE University in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, and was asked to
prepare a set of CALL programs using Toolbook 6 on Microsoft Windows 98. At that point my only
experience with xTalk languages was with HyperCard. The transition from HyperCard to Toolbook
was little more than a 2-day headache, especially as, the previous year, I had authored a
whole suite of CALL software for the NEW Macintoshes the University had installed (the reason
for the change to Toolbook was that the Sheikh who was the boss of the University decided
to chuck out the Macs and replace them with machines running Windows 98 6 months
after buying the Macs: go and work in those parts: you'll love it).

Recently I downloaded a Trial version of Toolbook 11.5 and merely got frustrated
at what I felt to be the restrictions on what one can do.

Toolbook looks rigid and tied to other technologies (not least its dependence
on Microsoft Windows).
-
Screenshot 2019-03-16 at 9.16.35.png
Screenshot 2019-03-16 at 9.16.35.png (11.61 KiB) Viewed 442 times
-
I am not going to say that "one-click ease" doesn't have its place; but it does
come at a price.

Toolbook's "one-click ease" means that an awful lot of "stuff" is going on "under the hood"
which the developer has little or no access or control over.

Quite apart from the fact that SCORM is something connected with the Office of the
United States Secretary of Defense . . . I do wonder just how much of an e-learning
standard it really is. I can find no reliable statistics in this respect.

It is pretty obvious that if you want to develop presentation packages and endless,
fairly mindless gap-fill exercises for ESL students that can then pump results back to
"the fat controller" at ESL-Central Toolbook might be the thing for you (especially
if you don't mind shelling out money for multiple Microsoft Windows licences).

Your work will look uniform and unimaginative.

Now, while there is almost no "one-click ease" about LiveCode at all, it does enjoy
far far more flexibility than Toolbook (not least because Transcript/the LiveCode
language IS a full-blown computer programming language, not some restricted subset),
and the end results can be deployed all over the place.

Return to “Feature Requests”