Improvements to the Line Graph Widget

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

Monox18

Improvements to the Line Graph Widget

Post by Monox18 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi All,

I have been using the Line Graph Widget as a monitoring tool where I want to see in Real Time some data from sensors and actuators. So far the Line graph works great but it has some display issuesI would like to have them fixed.

1) The Y axis divisions, labels and amount of divisions are automatically created. If you set the widget with 10 points, then you will see 10 axis divisions, lines and labels. If you put 20 points, you will see then 20 divisions and so on. It works ok when you have 20 or less amount of points in the CSV data. However, I'm using 100 or more points, which means 100 labels and they become impossible to read. (My workaround is to cover all those messy letters with a field, and then manually put some custome labels where I want them), Also I'm forced to turn off the horizontal line divisions and I would like to have the ability to set a property of the widget to tell it how many lines I want.

2) Same as 1 but with the X Labels.

3) The scaling of the axis is set to fit in all the data. This means that both Min & Max values for Axis X & Y will vary to fit the Min & Max values found on the CSV data. This is horrible becase the scalling of the graph is going to change all the time. I would like to be able to set a fixed value for YMin and YMax. (My workaround here is to keep a "fake" point constant at the ending of the data equal to the max and min values of Y to make sure the graph is always fit to this size and then Hide this point with a field layer.)

Thank you !

Lowe

Re: Improvements to the Line Graph Widget

Post by Lowe » Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Monox18 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 pm
Hi All,

I have been using the Line Graph Widget as a monitoring tool where I want to see in Real Time some data from sensors and actuators. So far the Line graph works great but it has some display issuesI would like to have them fixed.

1) The Y axis divisions, labels and amount of divisions are automatically created. If you set the widget with 10 points, then you will see 10 axis divisions, lines and labels. If you put 20 points, you will see then 20 divisions and so on. It works ok when you have 20 or less amount of points in the CSV data. However, I'm using 100 or more points, which means 100 labels and they become impossible to read. (My workaround is to cover all those messy letters with a field, and gimp freejobalert notepad++ then manually put some custome labels where I want them), Also I'm forced to turn off the horizontal line divisions and I would like to have the ability to set a property of the widget to tell it how many lines I want.

2) Same as 1 but with the X Labels.

3) The scaling of the axis is set to fit in all the data. This means that both Min & Max values for Axis X & Y will vary to fit the Min & Max values found on the CSV data. This is horrible becase the scalling of the graph is going to change all the time. I would like to be able to set a fixed value for YMin and YMax. (My workaround here is to keep a "fake" point constant at the ending of the data equal to the max and min values of Y to make sure the graph is always fit to this size and then Hide this point with a field layer.)

Thank you !
I second your findings and all the details because i also felt that refinement in the graphs are much needed, so a request from my side too.

Thanks and Regards,
Lowe
Last edited by Lowe on Sun May 26, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freejobalert gimp notepad++

Monox18

Re: Improvements to the Line Graph Widget

Post by Monox18 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Well thanks for seconding it. But the Line Graph Widget is not getting enough love, I think it hasn't been updated since the original post I made. I left it with the workarounds for now which is fine, and if you really need it, then apply them as well.

On the other hand it seems that there is a good paid Chart Engine on the store
https://livecode.com/extensions/charts-engine/1-2-1/

I'm not using it cause I'm still using Community Edition. But you might check it out if you are planning
on getting Indy version. (Someday, a project sale will be good enough so that I can buy the Indy License and the extensions I want... but for now community will do.)

Return to “Feature Requests”