Multi Threadedness ?

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Multi Threadedness ?

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks for that background, Mark. I'll move forward with what we have for now, and look forward to building on that as options expand down the road.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Have any of you fiddled with trying to leverage the existing process management commands to do this?
Mark and I have been going back and forth about it for a couple of days, so I have an idea on something to try, but if someone has already tried it then I won't have to:
1) Build a standalone with a minimal framework for executing code and communicating via whatever technique you choose - files, sockets, etc. (let's call it "stub")
2) Attach as many LC snap-in components/externals/etc. as feasible for the platform being targeted to the standalone (e.g. all of the merg externals) so that all of these are available if needed.
3) Have your main stack launch stub
4) Have your main stack send stub code to execute and data, taking advantage of the fact that compiled standalones can run interpreted code
5) Bonus points: Have stub launch sub stubs and pass the tasks to the sub stubs. Now rename "stub" to "me" and the sub stubs to "mini me". You're welcome.
Mark suggested using a compiled standalone instead of LCS because (at least in our case) we're making heavy use of externals.
Downside: ios no joy.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Are you launching the workers with -ui? I don't even know if that's possible on mobile OSes, or if any of this sort of multiprocessing can work there. But on the desktop it will, and in the coming months I'll be moving some of these experiments to a server where my own interests in this are centered. I've found standalones run with -ui consume only a couple MBs of RAM, gloriously lean.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks for the ideas Mikey, it will certainly give me something to try at the next opportunity I have.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:35 am

I was trying to rip of anyone else's previous work product, but if we're all at the same 0-point, maybe we should try teaming up and see what we can invent.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 am

I wish I could free up some time, I haven't done any serious coding in the last month, and at the moment it looks like I won't have time to do any for the next 6 either (unless something really breaks loose :D ).

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:08 am

I know. Me either. Thank goodness for staff and consultants.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 pm

My blessings on your fortune :wink:

Return to “Feature Requests”