On/Off auto-type in preferences

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

sphere

On/Off auto-type in preferences

Post by sphere » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi,

how to turn off the auto-type function?

It's especially the quote which is starting to irritate me as it's slows down the typing.
When typing the quote then after that i have to escape it by using the arrows or the end key.
And after that you can go ahead typing or hitting the Return key.

Is it possible to get an On/Off switch in the preferences or exclude the quote in auto-typing?
or am i overlooking a setting?

Thanks a lot!

Sphere
Please, stop quoting things my brother did not say. Thank you. Hans Zweistein.

bogs

Re: On/Off auto-type in preferences

Post by bogs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:53 pm

The items your looking for are under "Edit -> Options" in the script editor menus.
Selection_004.png
I usually turn the first 3 off immediately if they are on, highlighting is still kind of dodgy/slow, but not nearly as bad.

sphere

Post by sphere » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks Bogs!

I have overlooked that.
Did not see it owns options separate from the preferences.

That's a relieve :P

Cheers, Sphere

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:47 pm

My pleasure to pass it along, I think it was a post from Craig that Richard answered that pointed it out to me :D

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mwieder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks! I missed that too.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:15 pm

I love group help, or, "correcting annoyances for recovering typing addicts" :twisted:

sphere

Post by sphere » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:53 pm

:twisted: :roll:

pderocco

Post by pderocco » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 am

I just noticed this thread. These options should be moved to the Script Editor preferences.

But also: the worst irritant in the editor, which is so bad that I often find myself copying the entire script to the clipboard, pasting it into another editor, editing it, copying it back, and pasting it back into LiveCode, is that it insists upon moving the cursor to the first nonblank character in the line when I try to put the cursor at the left margin. How are you supposed to cut some lines of code from one place, and then insert them somewhere else? This misfeature is truly Evil. Drive a stake through its heart.
Ciao,
Paul

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Having a hard time visualizing what you mean pderocco, would you mind posting a couple screen shots?

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:31 pm

The blinking cursor is just before the first char of text, but when you select a block of text for copying you get everything to the left margin.

pderocco

Post by pderocco » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 am

But when you try to paste it by putting the cursor at the start of some other line, the cursor bumps to the right, and inserting it there results in improper indentation.

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would ever want the cursor to automatically jump to the first nonblank character in a line. That's not the behavior of any other editor I've used, so at the very least it should be possible to turn that off.
Ciao,
Paul

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:27 am

Not sure what you mean by 'improper indentation'. Do you have Autoformat enabled?

pderocco

Post by pderocco » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 am

No. My whole point is that I'm trying to turn ALL autoformatting off, and it keeps insisting it knows better.

Imagine the following lines (pretend they're code):

Code: Select all

abc
    def
    ghi
Note they're all indented four chars. If I drag from the beginning of the third line down to select ghi, and then cut it to the clipboard, I have four blanks, "ghi" and a return in the clipboard. (Yes, I can select starting from the beginning of the line, because the cursor only pops to the first nonblank character if I release the mouse without dragging.)

Now, I want to insert ghi between abc and def, so I try to put the cursor at the beginning of line 2, but it immediately jumps to the letter d. If I paste, I get:

Code: Select all

abc
        ghi
def
That's what I mean by "improper indentation". The only way I can paste it the way I want is to click on the start of the line, and then hit ctrl+V before releasing the mouse button, which is an unnatural hack that I shouldn't have to do.

Doesn't anyone else do this? I can't believe that everyone doesn't have a problem with this, unless there's some hidden option that everyone else has set differently from me.
Ciao,
Paul

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:41 pm

pderocco wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 am
Doesn't anyone else do this? I can't believe that everyone doesn't have a problem with this, unless there's some hidden option that everyone else has set differently from me.
I don't know, from what your describing, when I see the incorrect formatting, I just hit the tab key after a paste and that sorts it all back out ( I use mostly mc2.x -> Lc 6.5 ), however, I was unable to reproduce what your looking at in this setup (Win10/Lc9.0.1rc)

On pasting, it automatically set the formatting correctly each time as far as I could tell.

Image...Image...Image...Image...Image...Image

The only time I saw the 4 spaces added was appending to an already existing line...

*Edit - might help to know which os / vers. your seeing this behavior in too.

*Edit 2 - is this your setup (found in the bug triage section) 9.0.1 on Windows 7 x64

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Yeah, pressing the tab key will do the trick.
Also, if you enable AutoFormat when you paste the code it will be properly indented. That's what AutoFormat is for.

Return to “Feature Requests”