A darker Background editor ! Or more colors to the existing one.

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

bogs

Re: A darker Background editor ! Or more colors to the existing one.

Post by bogs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 pm

That is awesome, thank you much Hermann as well.

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:09 am

Sounds like a joke - thats a feature that defenitely lacks improovment from the Dev Team--- :roll:

Doesnt make sense to me to have to get under the hood that way - to the point of crashing your installed versions whereas other editors lets you configure a great working environment in few clics !
shame shame shame !!! :!:

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 pm

I dunno if it sounds like a joke or not, in this thread, there have been more than a few ways to resolve it without worrying about crashing the installed version or having to do anything under the hood, and we didn't even really get into the number of plugins that touch the editor.

I mentioned Andy P.'s SETH plug in, but there are others as well, and as I pointed out earlier, you could always just use your favorite editor to edit the scripts, or use one that has a lexer targeting Lc, or set up your own lexer.

I rather suspect it is lower on their list due to the number of users that would require it, and it takes so little to resolve yourself.

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm

I Guess will always be on a dif. point of view.

Code: Select all

and it takes so little to resolve yourself.
exactly why I believe its a nec feature for next version :mrgreen: :
.."so little"..have no clue which pluggin, where to download and how to install that,
how to configure it and how much time its going to take me..
The LC Team knows all that and can "instal it" once and for all on the next version ...and voila !
.. "resolve" : means it can or is problematic ...(then make it simple !)
..Yourself...So 1/2 Solution in already made by the Team, and 1/2 would be by myself.
Sublimtext offer the whole solution - made by themself - and I m very happy with it
...so I m just saying LC IDE can do the same.

I can understand that they have a lack of time...
I m just saying that its a priority for ppl like me and since its Sooooo easy to include it with no further final user playhing arround.... then why are we waitting for it to get better ?
my 2 cents ! :P

ps: EDIT: ..and why is the IDE Background taking all over my Desktop when I d like it to be resizable. I cant grab other windows from the background without several clic of mouse...its counter productive not to be able to display 2 distinc App opened side by side on your monitor.. :roll: :cry:

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Hola teriibi,
teriibi wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm
ps: EDIT: ..and why is the IDE Background taking all over my Desktop when I d like it to be resizable. I cant grab other windows from the background without several clic of mouse...its counter productive not to be able to display 2 distinc App opened side by side on your monitor.. :roll: :cry:
just uncheck "Backdrop" in menu "View". If that is NOT checked, then maybe someone, not you, may have set the FULLSCREEN of your stack(s) to true?

In that case use the message box: set the fullscreen of stack "your stack here" to FALSE
That should make the Window resizable again.

If that is not it, I have no more brilliant ideas at the moment... 8)

Best

Klaus

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 pm

thanks a lot Klaus now Perfect without the "Backdrop" !
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:07 pm

teriibi wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm
I Guess will always be on a dif. point of view.
No problems there, I see a diff. pov from 99 out of 100 people a day :D

and it takes so little to resolve yourself.
exactly why I believe its a nec feature for next version :mrgreen: :
.."so little"..have no clue which pluggin, where to download and how to install that,
how to configure it and how much time its going to take me..
How much time could it really take you to follow perhaps one of the two easiest suggestions made above, namely either downloading Andy P's plugin SETH (or any other plugin that allows changing all those things already made), or doing as Bernd pointed out here -
bn wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 pm
Hi, another option is to issue

set the ink of fld "script" of stack "revSETemplate" to "blendExclusion"
you can try this from the message box: close all Script Editors and put above code into the message box and hit return.

Then open a script.

If you like this you could do a plugin that does it for you automatically. Then you would not have to change your copy of the IDE and don't have to redo that for each new version.

In Preferences you can choose 2 different colorizations and no colorization. Check out which suits you best with above change.

Kind regards
Bernd
Either the plugin or the method Bernd suggested has as close to 0 chance of crashing anything as you are likely to get, and are solutions ready *now*, not at some future feature release date.
Sublimtext offer the whole solution - made by themself - and I m very happy with it
...so I m just saying LC IDE can do the same.
The difference I think you are either failing to see, or ignoring outright, is that Sublime is solely a text editor. The only function its developers target is....well, formatting text. Nothing excludes you from using it to write your scripts that I know of, if it is your slice of heaven, then by all means, use it.

Lc *includes* a text editor, but it is not the end goal of the Lc dev team I am sure. There are pressing things that you and I can't resolve easily, and I would rather see their time spent on those things. The next 2 lines of what you typed really say it all -
I can understand that they have a lack of time...
I m just saying that its a priority for ppl like me
I understand being in the minority of priorities, being there so often myself. If what you were talking about was, oh, say as complicated as improving the performance of the engine, or adding some really needed function to the engine, that is one thing.

But saying you don't want to take a minute and correct a minor flaw (in your opinion, flaw being in the eye of the person who perceives it, as I have no problem requiring it to be fixed, and it works fine for me as is), well, if you don't want to take that minute, why should they?

After all, its serves the main function it was made for, writing code.

Having said all of that, there is a place you can submit feature requests, and I've seen a number of those go through. Why not post your request there, where it would go through the review process and etc.

Until that happens, though, as you are in pressing need of a solution, I would suggest trying one of the ones offered. I've seen your .o2, and I'm matching it with .o1.5 of my own :twisted:

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 am

Another thing to consider is that with the excellent Levure framework from Tevor Devore
https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki there is the option to set up a local LiveCode server and create a bridge between LiveCode and Sublime Text.

screencast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkVo35Tb3ck

extract from the wiki
With the above setup the LiveCode IDE will be acting as a server and Sublime Text will be a client. Whenever you save a LiveCode file in Sublime Text a request will be sent from Sublime Text (the client) to the LiveCode IDE (the server). A Levure application script running in the LiveCode IDE will find the stack that was updated in Sublime Text and update the script in the IDE.
It should also be fairly easy to take the server script and modify it so that LC and Sublime can be used together without the Levure framework if required, which affords us the great editing features of Sublime and its many colorization themes.
Andy Piddock

http://2108.co.uk/tinyide/ - TinyIDE gives you more space to develop your ideas

http://2108.co.uk/script-editor-themer/ Script Editor Themer - Your code has never looked so good

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mikey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm

I threatened to do a session on this topic at LCG, but as long as we’re talking about it here:

Seth works ok, but it has issues, so I’m not using it, and I haven’t wanted to use it strongly enough to try to fix it. It’s a great idea, but it would be even cooler if we bolted it more directly into the SE and then added extensibility to it (like if we could pull theme files from Atom and ST and boom).

ST has this cool feature that allows you to blast packets over your network when something happens. So what Trevor did was configure it to send a blast to your local machine when you do a save. If your app is written with Levure, it can listen for blasts on that port, and when it receives one, reload the script you were editing. So, ST becomes your script editor, live.

Atom doesn’t have many of the sharp edges that ST has (I personally prefer it), but we don’t have a way to get saves in Atom to reflect immediately in LC. I have not found any Atom people to suggest a way to make that happen. The problem I’m having with ST is the indent rules. I started with the indent rules that we have for LC in Atom (Peter wrote them, I think) and then started trying to fix some of the issues and add some more features (like blocks). I ported those rules over to Atom, too, so you can check them and see if you can make them better.

Even requests from the ST experts at the ST newsgroup have not helped me resolve all of the indent issues, yet. So I spend more time than I would like fixing indenting in scripts. Other than that, I like ST and Atom for working on code.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Mikey wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm
Seth works ok, but it has issues, so I’m not using it, and I haven’t wanted to use it strongly enough to try to fix it.
Just curious Mikey, did you mention any of the issues you have with it directly to Andy, the guy that made it?

I can tell you from my own personal experience with TinyIDE, he is pretty approachable :D

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:20 pm

I did and he was interested, but some things with the SE aren’t as easy to fix as others.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Good to know, and I really agree with the 2nd part.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi Mikey,

Can you please post a description of the problems you are experiencing with Seth here,
https://2108.co.uk/forum/?view=forum&id=8 and Ill see what I can do. I haven't had a bug report for 11 months so it will be interesting to see what you've found.

Also I've just cloned the LiveCode repository to see what can be done internally in respect of colors for the script editor..I'm looking at the possibility of adding a single custom theme option which can be user configured. I'll post back here with progress.
Andy Piddock

http://2108.co.uk/tinyide/ - TinyIDE gives you more space to develop your ideas

http://2108.co.uk/script-editor-themer/ Script Editor Themer - Your code has never looked so good

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm

I had been thinking that, aside from the Mc IDE, I had seen another utility that would allow you to use whatever external editor floats your boat.

I recently came across it again, I should have known better and just gone to the SOT website right off. The collection of utilities and code there sometimes amazes me.

Anyway, I've used this plugin a few times from Mc and it seems to work ok, you might give that a shot.

Heh, while I was posting, Andy himself cut in. Can't beat that offer :)

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:34 pm

@Bogs
Having said all of that, there is a place you can submit feature requests, and I've seen a number of those go through. Why not post your request there
:shock:

Correct me if I posted to the wrong place but it seems to me that i am posting in the "Feature Requests" Topics...so I´ll just wait and see... :!:

beside, if it only took me a minute to solve it, I would gladly do it...the fact is I can´t not even in an hour and have no problem recognizing my limits..and let the Pros improove what they can (coz they´re the Pros) :idea:

Return to “Feature Requests”