A darker Background editor ! Or more colors to the existing one.

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

bogs

Re: A darker Background editor ! Or more colors to the existing one.

Post by bogs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 pm

teriibi wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:34 pm
Correct me if I posted to the wrong place but it seems to me that i am posting in the "Feature Requests" Topics...so I´ll just wait and see...
LOL :oops: I stand corrected, I can't imagine how I missed that we were in that section :oops:
beside, if it only took me a minute to solve it, I would gladly do it...the fact is I can´t not even in an hour
Just curious, did you try Bernd's suggestion from the message box? I know it worked here, and it took less time than almost thinking about it.

@Andy - Dunno if you caught this, but I came across it in some of the other threads I read on the topic, if you weren't already aware of it.

You know, I just can't believe how much -hh really looked into this topic. He is one heck of a prolific writer.

I also came across a reference to Shaosean having written a scriptColourEditor plugin that did something similar, but danged if I could find that one. I may need to drop him a note asking him about it.

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mikey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:50 am

Hey, Andy,
I’ll have to pull Seth out again. It might have been that long since I started using text editors instead of the script editor.

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 am

bogs wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 pm
I also came across a reference to Shaosean having written a scriptColourEditor plugin that did something similar, but danged if I could find that one.
yeah, i don't think that one was released for very long.. it was a back script that overrode parts of the IDE (the preferences and script editor) but those parts of the IDE have changed since then, so probably not going to work too well..

I emailed you the stack, and attached it to here, for future reference.. I don't know what version this is..
Attachments
revScriptColourEditorByShaoSean.rev.zip
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Nice stack.

There is a minor problem with line 15 of button "colourize" of card id 1002 of stack "revScriptColourEditor", the id has changed.

Changing the original from this

Code: Select all

set the label of button id 1540 of stack "revPreferencesGUI" to "Custom"
to this

set the label of button "Colorization Scheme" of stack "revPreferencesGUI" to "Custom"
sorts it out and all works well.
Andy Piddock

http://2108.co.uk/tinyide/ - TinyIDE gives you more space to develop your ideas

http://2108.co.uk/script-editor-themer/ Script Editor Themer - Your code has never looked so good

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm surprised that it works at all with the new IDE..

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Luckily the code for the script editor hasn't changed much over the years.

If you added the function to allow the set colors to be stored within a custom property of the stack and then a save stack option then I think this should be pushed to the LiveCode team as an automatic plugin inclusion for all new versions of LC. I am sure that all LiveCode users will appreciate it.
Andy Piddock

http://2108.co.uk/script-editor-themer/ Script Editor Themer - Your code has never looked so good

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:30 pm

1. Make the changes
2. Take all the credit
3. ???
4. Profit ;-)

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 pm

OK, great...on it 8)
Andy Piddock

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Thank you for the copy and linking shaosean, I was just looking at all the previous ways this was attempted to be tackled, not for my own use :D

For my own use, I was looking at just creating a stack that sends what the script editor will be looking for for colors (the front script mentioned above). While the background doesn't bother me, I'd like to create some layouts similar to colors and styles I used in previous IDEs, like pascal, delphi, and so forth.

My own take on all this was that delphi's editor was the cat's meow :mrgreen: but it is nice to see it gave Andy ideas. Hopefully, all this will benefit people like our friend here sooner, rather than later. There was a line I came across in one of the previous threads that really stood out for me -
The bad news is that all of us talk a good fight, but none of us have really put in the time and effort to fix things like font, syntax coloring, etc. I have a big list of script editor things I want done, and when I'm frustrated I actually look at, but I still haven't done, yet.
I keep thinking to myself how many times I see something asked for that has already been done by any number of people, but seems to wind up lost or ignored or even unknown by so many of the people asking about it.

Since we're now talking about an Oss IDE, so many of these solutions (as many past ones have been) could be easily introduced back into the IDE itself, either by integrating them directly, or, as a less permanent thing that can be changed easily edition to edition, like Andy mentioned as a plug in.

Oh my have I gone on too far, have a great day all :oops:

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:24 pm

bogs wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm
I keep thinking to myself how many times I see something asked for that has already been done by any number of people, but seems to wind up lost or ignored or even unknown by so many of the people asking about it.
This kept bugging me so much I actually looked into sublime text since it has been mentioned a few times in other discussions, and our friend here finds it to be the cat's meow.

Trevor actually wrote a very nice plugin for it (aimed at his framework, but as I was playing with it it works without pretty well) and hosted it here.

I also remembered having downloaded this plugin for testing in Mc (works through Lc 6.5 anyway, not sure past that)
That can call Sublime if you can figure out the transcript code you'd need to open the editor with a new page (there are examples of other editors being called).

The combo of the two should give you the best of both worlds, Sublime and Lc if you can get it going. I managed to get sublime to open from the plugin, but not properly for editing / saving back to Lc's object.

Alternately, you could always code in sublime and copy/paste back to the script editor, although I imagine that would get tiring pretty soon.

Something to look into maybe.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 pm

transcript code
We can see where you've been lurking recently 8)

As far as I know the language is also called 'LiveCode' now,
although it went through several slightly confusing name changes in the past.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:33 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 pm
transcript code
We can see where you've been lurking recently 8)
<Blowing dust off the documents> are you implying I've been poking around in archaeological materials again? <Closing crypt door with toe> :shock:

I found (as I'm sure anyone who has used Sublime previously also found) a section of syntax marked 'apple script', which seems to color the text pretty close to rev classics scheme, or what it would look like on a black background anyway :D

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 pm

hi everyone,
Dam...I didnt think my "feature request" would start so many comments, Glad if you{ve found a place to chat about it ! As for me, sorry I wont go through reading it in details.
It s the way I have always seen feature request Topics in other forums...either ppl support it, or...they don t really care and skip it.
..its really the first time I see ppl trying to convince me to try this or that solution, but hey, thats not how I see it. if the LC team improoves it - for everyone - fine - if they dont...out of luck for me. thats all.
:mrgreen:
tks for advices though...but dont have time to even test them...
Last edited by teriibi on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Well, while I'm sorry to hear none of this may interest you to test out personally, I do see similar topics enough that it would be nice to have future conversations possibly find a solution here for future users :)

On a side note, while studying the MLX editor plug in, I did find code that seems to work in launching sublime correctly (shamelessly modified from some Mac lines in the plugin), but although it allowed for the code to come up correctly, it did not open the 2nd tab that normally opens when everything works right, and it did not save back to the livecode object sadly. This is what I have (so far) in the custom box -

put "%s" into tTmpFile
put "subl" && quote & tTmpFile & quote into tCmd
get shell(tCmd)
I'll keep playing with it and see what I get to pop, it works fine with mousePad, Pluma, and several others I've tested (no so great with geany, oh well :D )

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:11 pm

dont have time to even test them
Well, that's as maybe, but there are those of us who do have the time and the motivation to carry on,
so the posting above this one should NOT stop things.
KOT.png

Return to “Feature Requests”