LiveCode Installation Directory

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

marinersk

LiveCode Installation Directory

Post by marinersk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:25 pm

The installer informed me that the installation directory would be

Code: Select all

C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Indy 8.1.2 

The pedantry of slashes being used where backslashes should have been notwithstanding, there didn't seem to be an option for me to install the package in

Code: Select all

E:\Apps\LiveCode 
where I wanted it.

Could this feature get added to the installer at some point?

Thanks!

Klaus

Re: LiveCode Installation Directory

Post by Klaus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi marinersk,

1. welcome to the forum! :D

2. Internally Livecode uses the UNIX/Linux SLASH as a path delimiter on ALL supported platforms.
So we do not need to also think about this when doing crossplatform development!
Get used to it! :D

You will only need to supply the Windows native path delimiter when using the SHELL function on Windows!

3. See attached screenshot!
Click the "loupe" symbol to get a file/folder dialog where you can select any other folder on your HD
for the installation of Livecode.
lc_setup_windows.jpg
Best

Klaus

marinersk

Post by marinersk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:56 pm

Klaus,

Thanks for the notes.

My installation screen looked nothing like that, and did not have a place to enter a change to the installation directory.

Looking at your screen shot, I see you were in a Customized installation. I could have simply missed it, but I don't think I saw one of those or I would likely have used it.

Is it possible the free 30-day license version doesn't allow custom installation? Or did I just flat miss the option?

- Steve M.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi Steve,
marinersk wrote:My installation screen looked nothing like that, and did not have a place to enter a change to the installation directory.
Looking at your screen shot, I see you were in a Customized installation.
yes, if using "Install for all users" you cannot select a custom folder for installation.
That's the way Windows is working.
marinersk wrote:Is it possible the free 30-day license version doesn't allow custom installation?
Don't think so.
marinersk wrote:Or did I just flat miss the option?
Maybe, really don't know. :D

Best

Klaus

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:35 am

Hi,
Klaus wrote:yes, if using "Install for all users" you cannot select a custom folder for installation.
That's the way Windows is working.
This may be misleading. It's not a Windows thingie, it's the installer that, as soon as you choose "All Users" or "You Only" on the first screen, recklessly installs on "C:". Obviously written by iPeople that don't care about user freedom ;-))

So: First, choose "Custom" (not "All Users" nor "You Only"). Continue.
The next screen is the one shown in Klaus' screenshot: Select "Install for all users" or "... you only", and below you have the folder selector ;-)

Have fun!
Livecode programming until the cat hits the fan ...

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:48 am

Oh, my fault, I thought "for all users" would require to have the exe in the "Program files (X86)" directory.
Thanks for clarification!

marinersk

Post by marinersk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Thank you both for your replies, and the tip that I can select only for me and then change it -- could have found that on my own but probably wouldn't have taken the time, so my next install will follow that path.

Side note to reaffirm: Yes, it is not a Windows requirement that everything (or anything) be installed in "Program Files" (or its evolutionary descendents), though that is a common misconception for folks who do not use Windows extensively, since that is the default location for everything.

There was an iTunes product at one point which refused to allow a friend of mine to establish something (backups, maybe, can't remember) on the C: drive -- since that is the "normal" place for the OS Hard Drive to live. Turns out his system booted from the E: drive, and C: was a disk absolutely appropriate to the use, but the Apple folks assumed C: was the system drive and deemed it off limits as a hard-coded entry instead of using the SystemDrive environment variable (or, as would likely have been even more appropriately, the SystemRoot environment variable).

Each of us is bound by our experiences, and cross-pollination opportunities like this thread allow us all to get better in each others' worlds.

Thanks again!

- Steve M.

Return to “Feature Requests”