Native connection with Filemaker Server

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Ari

Native connection with Filemaker Server

Post by Ari » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:09 pm

Since Filemaker increased their prices for FM Go and Webdirect dramatically, it will be a great opportunity for Livecode to supply a native connection with Filemaker Server. Livecode would the perfect alternative for FM Go and Webdirect and a lot of FM developers would switch to Livecode if it was easy to connect to FM Server

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Native connection with Filemaker Server

Post by ghettocottage » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:55 am

It looks like the PHP API requires a database to be built in FM Pro First, probably so you have to use FM pro first no matter what platform you build in).
From the FM website:
Developing a PHP web site with FileMaker's API for PHP is slightly different then developing to communicate with another database technology such as MySQL for example. Custom Web Publishing with FileMaker's API for PHP does not provide direct table access to data in a FileMaker database, but uses the layouts defined in the database. This requires that before the FileMaker API for PHP can be used to communicate with it, the database must be first developed in FileMaker Pro and functional.

Ari

Re: Native connection with Filemaker Server

Post by Ari » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:16 am

OK

Since I have absolutely no experience with LIVECODE can you please explain me:

-When I build a database in FM Pro with all the needed relations and layouts, I can build a frontend application in LIVECODE?

-What knowledge of PHP do I need to connect with FM Server?

-Do you think this can be a effective combination? Or can I expect a lot of bears on the road?

Thanks, Arend

Return to “Feature Requests”