LiveCode 8.0.0 App Browser

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode 8.0.0 App Browser

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Actually I use the Project Browser all the time now and have for ages.

However I never use it in the 'show icons' mode which makes it almost unusable, but once this is turned off I prefer it to the old Application Browser. It's now a mature feature (in it's early days I would sometimes have to revert to the 'save house' of the application browser - but its solid and reliable now).

I particularly like the ability to 'fold' (show and hide) all controls, and in the PB it is easier to see what is in which group when compared to the AB. The filter functionality is also fast and very useful when trying to track down a particular control. What it doesn't have is the ability to sort controls in the same way the AB has (Ali that might be something to add?). Apart from that the only other real difference between the two is that the AB is essentially horizontal whilst the PB is basically vertical - for the screens I develop on a vertical layout suits me better.

Each of us has their own coding habits but personally if I could choose between having the AB continue in the IDE and having a couple bugs squashed that would not otherwise be attended to - I'd choose the bug squashing!

Kind regards

Dave

EDIT: I forgot that there are other things you can do in the PB such as align/resize selected controls...

EDIT NUMBER 2: the 'icons are called 'thumbnails' in the PB preferences pane - Ali maybe have these turned off by default so that it's easier to use?
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:59 pm

All the code is open. If someone wants the App Browser in a version where it's not included it could be made into a plugin, with a patch that runs on auto-start to override the IDE's Tools -> Project Browser menu item.

In fact, one could just as well fork the IDE and add anything they like. With LiveCode an IDE is just a collection of stack files. We used to have three IDEs, no reason we can't have many to choose from.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

slylabs13

Post by slylabs13 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:30 pm

I tried the project browser for about 15 minutes. I switched back to the Application Browser. Not sure why the App Browser is being depricated, but I would have real hesitation to migrating to a version that does not have it.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Oddly enough, if I install my RappBrowseBW.livecode stack in my Plugins folder
and attempt to set it so that it activates when I start up LineCode 8.0.0 like this:
pluginSettings.png
When I restart LiveCode 8.0.0 I get the Smart Properties palette
loading instead of my thing:
Bosh.png

rinzwind

Post by rinzwind » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:35 pm

I read things like 'i just don't like the project browser' which isnt really helpful. What don't you like? Try it and specify what's bothering you. I use the project browser. What I don't like about the LC IDE is that panels jump all over the place. You want them to remember their last position and size... dock panels to a side of the screen. Don't know why that's still not possible, seems like a basic feature. I frequently end up with lots of panels all over the place and I really don't like that.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Well, even gif nowt else, but the two panel view in the App Browser:
CandC.gif

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:51 pm

If I double-click on an object/control in the App Browser it opens the Properties palette of that control: you cannot do that in the Project Browser:
CandC2.png

erikhans08

Post by erikhans08 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:29 pm

"Selectable" is very important for me in Application Browser because my objects tend to self-deselect a lot.
Does Project Browser let you choose what you want in addition to "visible'?

russellf

Post by russellf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Love the project browser. Just turn off "Show thumbnails"

Return to “Feature Requests”